Green vehicles of 2007

Here in Canada the Camry hybrid is about $5,000 (US$ 4,400) more than the base 4 cyl., but as you say the base 4 cyl is less well fitted than the hybrid. For example the base 4 cyl has the tackiest cheapest hub caps I've every see. The base Honda CR-V does it one better by not having wheel covers on ugly steel wheels. The lack of a sunroof doesn't bother me, having had one once I no longer have that desire. THX I'll have a look into this.

Reply to
Ford?

Here is an interesting program on the other side:

look at "more from this user"... IMO GW & CC is now being driven by business interests and the politicans are either involved or have been swept along.

Living in cold Canada I'm hoping for more warming!

Reply to
Some O

Excellent - and right on!!

Reply to
Bill Putney

The BBC presentation looks like pretty good stuff, but I watched the other video posted by this user and didn't like it much.

Being religiously in favor of either side is equally unwise, and I thought it was obvious that the person who put this presentation together had an axe to grind.

I take it that the segment about the ocean being depleted of fish was included because they thought that it had turned out to be nothing more than alarmist baloney. But it's true, most commercially fished species are severely depleted. That's why you can go to the store and buy weird fish now that you have never heard of before. The familiar fish are fished out, so now the fishing fleets are delivering formerly undesirable species that they used to throw away. The ecosystem of large portions of ocean have changed drastically because of the disruption in the food chain. The situation could be turned around now, of course, but not much is currently being done about it.

I also didn't care much for the quote from George Carlin. It's pretty silly to think that humans are incapable of affecting the environment. Check out the latest issue of National Geographic for an interesting article about the effect that the English colonists had on the environment of North America within a relatively short time of their arrival. And yes, the Brazilian forest is being destroyed at an alarming rate so they can grow soybeans to ship around the world, among other things. This is very unfortunate, but I don't know what anybody is going to do about it.

At any rate, I'd like to see more facts and less sensationalism.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

"The debate in Seattle started with Mark Albright, a part-time UW meteorologist and, until this week, the associate state climatologist."

If you need more sources, Google them.

Also, naming a man's occupation isn't discrediting him. You're being defensive again. You owe me an apology.

Reply to
Mac Cool

You can't stop being dishonest can you. It must be genetic. You may or may not even realize you're doing it (but that is typical of the left). I don't owe you anything.

Also, I like how you claim you only accept "unbiased" sources, yet in your post previous to the one above, you used out-of context quotes (transparent to anyone with an IQ over 70) supplied by a George Soros-funded organization.

Please keep this up. You are providing an education to those who haven't been previously sensitized to the tactics you are exhibiting for us.

Bill Putney

And yet 2001 Priuses are sold every day with no difficulty.

Reply to
Delfin Black

Robert Reynolds:

It's very misleading and the majority of the scientists have little or nothing to do with climate. At least one of the scientists involved has since condemned the movie. Science has a process called peer review where research is checked, usually anonymously, by experts in the same field of study. The popular media is short circuiting this process by giving equal time and weight to the opinions of any scientist who speaks about climate change regardless of their field of study or whether they have published any peer reviewed work.

Easy, start here:

600+ scientists have spent seven years writing a report on climate change. The information builds on decades of research and has been peer reviewed umpteen times over... it is the best and truest information to date. Ignore what people say about it though and look into yourself.

Until a year or so ago, I believed, like most people, that there really is a debate among scientists about climate change. The truth is there is no debate. All scientists in the field agree that the climate is changing and an overwhelming majority believe that humans are accelerating the process, while a small minority (mostly paid by special interests) claim humans are not accelerating global warming.

There are plenty of media articles published by scientists who are paid up to $2500/day by oil companies to write opposing opinions to the climate research but just remember they are opinions, not verified research. You can usually sort them out by typing the author's name in at sourcewatch.org. I generally stay away from movies or specials whether it's the UK movie or Al Gore's movie.

Reply to
Mac Cool

Bill Putney:

Well if you can't be right, at least you can be a jerk. GIGO.

What I expected. You're wrong, I know, you know it and anyone still following along can read it for themselves. That's good enough for me.

Reply to
Mac Cool

I wasn't aware of any CC debate. CC has been a fact for many years. Back in my very early school years we learned about CC. Those who live in Canada learned at an early age about the ice age that covered most of Canada and the northern USA with a sheet of ice only 20,000 yrs ago. There's been a lot of warming since the last ice age and still a lot to come to become as warm as we know is was in the past. For example Baffin Island in Canada's far north had the climate of the Carolinas not that long ago.

Where I live on the Canadian west coast it has been the longest cool winter since I came here in 1967. Those who have lived here longer agree. The spring has been cool as forecast a few months ago, but has been wet as not forecast. Too bad we can't forecast weather a few months ahead!

That is the debate, but I don't agree that the majority believe humans are the most significant factor in CC. There are incentives for both sides of the argument to bias their info. The oil interests say humans aren't the cause, the scientists are looking for research grants, politicians are looking for CC conference travel funding.

Some scientists who believe humans caused CC, feel our carbon emitting has saved us from the start of the next ice age.

We are still learning about our earth, with much more to learn.

What we need to do now is reduce our impact on the earth, I suggest we all start by not using gasoline lawn mowers.

Reply to
Some O

Some O:

It is a common misconception here in the states that scientists cannot agree about whether the Earth is warming or not. The misconception is perpetuated by popular media who boost their ratings by showcasing anyone, scientist or not, who can present a convincing argument against climate change, whether that person actually knows what they are talking about or not and without regard for the 'data' they use to support their position. So you end up with talk show hosts like this guy Beck, who has an audience of millions, giving out false or outdated information in order to create controversy.

Reply to
Mac Cool

Why is it that so many people think we have an out-of-control conservative media that shoves propaganda down our throats, while so many other people think we have an out-of-control liberal media that shoves propaganda down our throats?

Why does anybody even pay attention to TV anyway? They're just a bunch of hacks selling Froot Loops and beer.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

No - that is a common lie among people such as yourself.

...by no one.

Instead you want us to pay heed to sites funded by Geosrge Soros and the UN. Those are *your* "unbiased" sources that we should accept and not question or listen to any criticism of.

You're about as FOS as a person can get.

Don't forget - tonight CNN Headline News - 7 (1 hour), and then again at

  1. Mac Cool wants you to make up your own mind - only if you expose yourself to his George Soros and UN sources of false science. Freedom of will is a great thing.

Bill Putney

Funny thing - you hear that, yet when I hear liberals like Mac Cool talk, they don't want you to hear the issues and make up your own mind. They want you to only read their "unbiased" sources (yeah - like George Soros and the UN). Yet the conservative here is saying - hey - look at what both sides are saying and make up your own mind after you see who is faking the data and who is not. Funny that the conservative says "Listen to the B.S. and the truth, then decide which is which". The liberal will always say "Only trust what I say, only listen to who I label as 'scientists' and disregard anyone I label as a 'non-scientist'. You are not smart enough to discern truth from lies. The UN and George Soros are credible sources of information and will make the right decision for you."

Bill Putney

Robert Reynolds:

Popular media boosts it's ratings by creating controversy and polarizing audiences, targeting specific demographics. So news has moved further and further into editorial that is designed to suck in a certain type of people for whom life must be black and white, for whom there must be good guys and bad guys. That is why it's more important than ever to get information from a wide variety of sources, especially on hot topics that are most likely to be politicized like climate or the war in Iraq.

Reply to
Mac Cool

That's why I asked the rhetorical question. You said the media showcases anybody who denies global warming, to stir up controversy. That sounds like half of the truth, according to your most recent post. Try to see it from both sides yourself. It just might be true that we are being lied to about the motives behind the "global warming is our fault" movement.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

"The UN" does not just comprise a bunch of politicians from dictatorships running human rights committees. It does a lot of good work with a lot of input from decent people from democratic countries, if I may put it simplistically.

Can't tar everybody in it with the same brush.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Robert Reynolds:

I have seen it from both sides. I became interested while following a forum debate on global warming. I read articles linked by both sides and realized there was so much rhetoric the only way to understand would be to ignore stuff published in the popular media until I had a good understanding of the issues for myself. So I started reading the summaries of peer reviewed scientific studies. I discovered one thing right away, there are no peer reviewed articles contesting global warming... none. All the articles contesting global warming are editorials (opinions without factual proof). I also discovered that some of the scientists writing those editorials were being payed by oil companies. Others were not contesting the theory on climate change just some of the details. The remainder of editorials were by nonscientists parroting the former two and usually exaggerating in the process. So I have seen both sides and the only evidence of some global conspiracy on global warming is in the minds of talk show hosts looking for ratings.

Reply to
Mac Cool

You are definitely dishonest (already established several times over in your previous posts) and possibly also naíve, but definitely dishonest. You could not have been involved in any serious pursuit of the truth on this subject and come away with your claimed viewpoint.

How about when the "scientists" and "experts" claim that CO2 causes warming and prove it by taking real data plots showing that first comes temperature rise, and *then* CO2 increases, but, before presenting the data, they time shift the two parameters relative to each other to show the opposite (i.e, CO2 rise, then temperature rise).

IOW - if they were car accident "scientists", they would observe that accidents are always accompanied by damaged paint, and would prescribe doing everything you can and spending everything you have to protect the paint in order to prevent accidents.

Or - how about when they spout statistics about "warm deaths" when temperature rises, but they dishonestly fail to cite the many-times-more less "cold deaths", and - vice versa - when temperature drops, "cold deaths" increase much more rapidly than the drop off in "warm deaths".

Or how about when the IPCC summits occur for their collaborative reports

- they write up the conclusions they want in a summary before the report is written, then have runners going back and forth to the various scientists producing the pieces of the report in an iterative process to see if they could reword and unify what they individually wrote in order to not contradict each other and converge on the arguments to support the summary that was written weeks earlier.

Oh - I know - you'll deny all of that. But then that goes back to your blatant dishonesty.

Bill Putney

At this point there is no benefit to discussing it further. When everybody agrees to disregard the mass media and dig into the deeper sources, there's no way to tell somebody which sources to believe. I guess that's just human nature. People pick sides and stick with them.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds