Haynes or Chiltons?

Good day. I have a 97 Neon and with my past vehicles I have always bought Chiltons manuals. However I have been told that Haynes manuals were more useful. What are your opinions between the two and/or which one would you prefer? Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Slaughterhouse

Do`nt waste your money on either of them. I bought the chrysler manual for my

99 ne> Good day. I have a 97 Neon and with my past vehicles I have always bought
Reply to
steve piskor

Reply to
jdoe

True...except you can expect to pay under US$50 for a good, used book from either a used automotive manuals dealer or via Ebay. I just picked up the Chrysler 42LE transmission book for $8 about two weeks ago. I paid $40 for the Caravan FSM, and $30 for the Intrepid FSM. The Intrepid book was actually still in the shrinkwrap.

Haynes and Chilton manuals are worse than no manual at all.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Ditto. You will save a lot of time by doing it right the first time and not having to spend time under the car trying to figure out how to pull a part when there is no explanation or picture in the book.

--------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

Neither, they're both garbage. Get the factory manual. Whether you buy high at the dealer or buy low on Ebay, you'll save the entire cost of the manual the first time you use it for *any* task.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I prefer the Chrysler factory service manuals.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Ditto what everyone else said. Or get a subscription to

for your specific vehicle. It has the info. right out of the FSM on-line. $25 for first year, $15/subscription after that (whether a renewal on the one car, or adding a second car to your subscription). You also get the complete TSB's for your vehicle, plus other info.

Bill Putney

Thanks everyone! Guess I'll start checking Ebay for factory manuals a little more often.

Reply to
Slaughterhouse

They both stink totally. I never buy either of them. Take Steve's advice and get the real thing.

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
Mike Behnke

Both of these manuals are lacking in information and will not provide anything of value. If you need to use one, go to your local library.

Reply to
BJ

agreed....the only drawback would be the referneces to factory tools that most layman dont have.

the other manuals though leave you in the dark at times.

Reply to
robs440