Haze/Film on Headlights? 1999 300M

Is there a fix or a remedy for a film or haze on the headlights of my 300M? thanks Ralph Griffith

Reply to
Ralph Griffith

Try plastic polish & restorer.

Reply to
Sharon Cooke

This is a surface phenomenon. For heavy haze, polish alone will be way too slow and tedious.

Use successively fine grades of wet-or-dry sandpaper starting at 1000 and working down to 2000 or 2500 (auto parts store) - use wet. Don't panic when it appears slightly frosted after the finest grit. The sandpaper has worked it down to a much finer but very uniform haze that plastic polish can finish up nicely (polish will fill in the microscopic surface finish, and with a little elbow grease, will in fact polish it to water-clear).

However, you will need to apply polish every 6 to 10 weeks to maintain the clarity.

*OR*, after the sandpaper treatment, you can spray them with regular clear coat to give them about the same lingevity that they had when new (they came from the factory with clear coat on them and became hazy when that coating finally broke down.

WalMart sells a kit for about $20 that has the sandpaper and polish in it plus a type of clear coat that you apply with a rag. Never tried it

- might work - not sure of the quality of the clear coat and its longevity. But for best results/least risk, remove the headlight assy., sand and polish, chemically remove any polish/wax residue, and clear coat with regular automotive clear coat.

Bill Putney

I wonder if anyone has ever tried just removing the clear coat with a solvent that doesn't eat the plastic and then spray with clear coat. Would be easier than sanding if it worked.

Reply to
Art