Headlight redo...

I found a set of Sylvania Xtravision lamps in the discount bin of my local auto store (7 bucks each), so I want to replace the standard lamps in my 92 Dodge Shadow. Unfortunately, the headlight covers are also cloudy, and yellowed. Bought some extra fine grit sanding blocks to resurface the surface. Would it help to spray the covers with a clear finish after I get past the yellow/cloudy layers? Any other suggestions? TIA

Deke

Reply to
Deke

There's a headlight restoration kit sold at Wal-Mart. It's in a silver foil packet and runs around 20 bucks, worth it's weight in gold. Used on my 300M and my Wife's stratus..still look great after 6 months.

Mike

Reply to
Moparmaniac

There are kits sold specifically for the purpose of refinishing cloudy & yellowed headlight plastic. Aside from mail order (including restoration supply shops), I think I've even seen them in Wal-Mart. Check your various local auto supply places before you hit that plastic with sanding blocks... ('Course, if all else fails, do a good web search for replacement headlamp units. I was able to find new ones for another vehicle for under $50 apiece.)

Reply to
Ron Seiden

yellow/cloudy

Thanks for the reply, and you too Moparmaniac. Checked at wally world, no kit at the local, tiny store. Will check at a supercenter next time one is in my flight path. Going over the covers with super fine grit and water helped a bunch to remove the yellowing and some of the cloudiness. The Xtravisions helped also. Seems the cloudiness and crazing goes much deeper than I expected. But they are still better than they were.

Deke

Reply to
Deke

The surface will look cloudy after sanding even with the finest grit sandpaper. If you polish them with any kind of plastic or car polish, they will look water clear. Depending on how much elbow grease you put into the polishing, the polish is actually filling in the definite but microscopic and uniform scratches left by the sandpaper as evidenced by the fact that you will have to polish them every few weeks (after the polish wears off) - unless you follow with clear coat.

Bill Putney

after the sanding (with 2000 or 2500 grit)...

Bill Putney

Here is the web site for the system I mentioned I bought at Wal-Mart.

Mike

Reply to
Moparmaniac

I bought one in foil from Pep Boys. Sounds like same stuff. Had sand paper inside, a paste for smoothing and a coating, all for $20.

Reply to
Art

That is the one I used too. Looks good so far.

Reply to
Art