Heated Oxygen Sensor-can you install a 2003 part in a 1992 3.3L v6 Vin=R?

Hi, My old 92 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE needs a new Oxygen sensor. Since the v6 motor is basically the same on the new generation vehicle i would like to know if the newer type sensor can be used as it is probably more able to keep the mixture an the specified range. I do not know whether the Electronics are similar.

I am from South Africa, Any idea where i can purchase a Heated Oxygen Sensor at a reasonable cost?

Reply to
Tom Muller

mic canic

Tom,

First, make sure that the old one is broken: Dismount the sensor, and identify the wires:

4 wires, of which 2 are heater (low resistance between these wires) The other 2 are for the sensor (one is GND, other is SENSE, sensor output). If i recall, GND is black, SENSE is grey. Heat the sensor with a propane burner until red hot, and measure the sensor output (GND and SENSE) with a DVM. You should get about 1V output. Replace sensor if output is under 0.9V. Use copper grease on thread when re-installing.

Andre

"Tom Muller" schreef in bericht news:c8lm5g$n6p$ snipped-for-privacy@ctb-nnrp2.saix.net...

Reply to
André

This "test" is not *nearly* sensitive enough to discern a good from a bad O2 sensor. They don't just fail "dead", they also fail "lazy" -- that is, they still respond, but much too slowly, and driveability, economy and emissions all worsen.

The O2S is a maintenance item.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Your '92 V6 should already be equipped with a heated O2 sensor. Use the correct sensor for the vehicle in which it is being installed -- that is what the rest of the engine management system is designed to work with, and there is no advantage to using a different type. Do not use a Bosch brand O2 sensor; they do not work well or last long in Chrysler products.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Reply to