Help - Can't change Vision air filter

I have always changed my own air filter on my 3.5L 1996 Eagle Vision TSI

But, when I went to do it this time, I found 2 of the 3 screws that keep the top of the air filter chamber down just spins in there holes instead of comming out.

What happen! Did the treads become striped or somthing?

What ever the cause, this has brought me here to ask 2 questions.

1: Has this happen before on 3.5L LH car engines?

2: How do you fix it?

Reply to
Zentraleinheit

I had the same thing happen on my 1996 Eagle Vision 3.5L. The plastic broke away and the retaining bolt was indeed spinning. Rather than buy a new assembly from Chrysler, I was able to punch out the problem nuts and replace them and the original bolts with some longer bolts, large fender type washers, and nuts that I already had in my shop.

This now requires that I be more careful when removing these so that nothing gets dropped since the nuts and washers are not attached to the air filter's plastic cavity, but otherwise has held up well for about 3-4 years now.

Good luck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman