HELP! Draining Stratus cooling system

I am trying to drain the cooling system of my '96 Stratus 2.5L so I can put in enough antifreeze to get through the winter. The temp. is supposed to drop below freezing tonight, and I am certain the system doesn't have enough antifreeze.

I've been turning and turning the draincock (yes: counterlockwise), but no coolant is coming out. How many turns should it take? Should I be able to see the moving part coming out away from the radiator support? Should I be able to poke a wire up through the hole in the bottom once the draincock is open? (I can push it only a little more than an inch.) I have removed the radiator cap, so there's no vacuum to keep the coolant from draining.

A Google search revealed that at least one person gave up trying to drain the system through the draincock and disconnected the bottom hose instead -- but that is perhaps even more difficult to get at.

Looks as though I may have to run a fan-heater in the engine compartment tonight.

-=- Alan

Reply to
Alan Beagley

It would have been nice if the manual had told me that the draincock was supposed to turn only 1/4 turn: I did wonder whether that was the case, but assumed that if that were so coolant would start running out after

1/4 turn (like a household gas shut-off valve). What a pity they didn't say to pull it out after the 1/4 turn -- although I can't see how I would get anything in there to pull it out.

Anyway, I took the easy way out and had JiffyLube work their wonders on it.

(BTW, I found by trial and error that socket-extension-universal worked much better than socket-universal-extension; then I could use another extension + handle plugged into the universal.)

-=- Alan

On 10/22/03 11:19 pm Icky put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

Reply to
Alan Beagley

Alan;

I'd be more worried about spot overheating if you're low on coolant / anti-freeze.

The anti-freeze pr> I am trying to drain the cooling system of my '96 Stratus 2.5L so I can

Reply to
Mike Behnke

However, the higher the glycol/water ratio, the poorer the solution acts as a coolant. Unless you live in an area that experiences arctic temperatures, you're better off using a 50/50 mixture.

Cheers,

Mike Behnke wrote:

Reply to
Chris Mauritz

Alan: I can relate my experience replacing the coolant on my 97 Cirrus 2.5L this summer. I assume your vehicle is the same setup.

I used the procedure in my Chilton's manual which calls for removing the right front fog light, then using a 19mm socket with 3/8" universal joint and 3" extension. The draincock turns only 1/4 turn CCW, then you should be able to pull it straight out. I didn't know this either, and mashed mine up. But the dealer had a new one for $8 Canadian, so it wasn't too bad. I think it should drain some without removing it, but it may be clogged with sediment.

If you've been turning and turning it, it might be a good idea to pick up a new draincock at dealer before attempting to pull it out. The plastic threads strip if turned too far.

Norm.

Reply to
Icky