Help me ID this Dodge

I'm pulling into a parking spot (in the southeast U.S.) next to a black Dodge truck. At first, I thought it was a late-model Ram pickup with a nice-fitting and color-matching bed topper.

While I'm climbing out of my truck, I look down on the passenger door of the Dodge and it has the nameplate "Ramcharger" on it. Before you go saying "yeah, so what, they made those for years", the front-end of this thing was

1993-2002 Ram. It was not a pickup with a cap, the body sides were smooth front to back. It was definitely a 2-door SUV based on the abovementioned Ram 1500 platform. (No, it wasn't a Durango, either).

Where did I miss this one? I checked Chrysler Canada's website and Chrysler Mexico's website - no luck. I googled Ramcharger and came up with lots of information on the earlier trucks (the rear of this truck was not an older model Ramcharger with a newer doghouse or front-end on it).

Was this maybe a custom one-off by one of the aftermarket manufacturers? Wish I'd had my PDA with me, I could've provided a picture. I just missed the owner slipping into a crowded building, or I would've asked him.

Reply to
Malcolm

They did sell them in Mexico.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

abovementioned

Reply to
deadbeat

That would've been my guess.

I guess in an already crowded SUV market, making a full-sizer out of the Ram platform for the States would be out of the question. Especially given the size of the newer Durangos.

Reply to
Malcolm

I saw one in Indianapolis a couple years ago, a nice black one. Thought the same as you at first until it got up close. And yes, they are sold in Mexico.

CopperTop

There is supposed to be a picture of it at this website. I couldn't see it, but I did see a little of what the PT Cruiser will look like.

TOM KAN PA