Help! problem with dealer

My son (22, inexperienced) bought a 99 Taurus from a used car dealer in NW = Indiana. When he took the car to the BMV to get plates, they checked the VI= N on the car against the title. It was completely different. He went back t= o the dealer ("Triple M Motors" 9225 Wicker Ave. Saint John, IN 46373, a lo= t on a major highway with about 30 cars) and the guy apologized, said it wa= s a mix-up, and said the correct title would be mailed to him within 2 week= s and gave him a 30 day tag. 30 days came and went, and my son has called b= ack a few times and was assured by "Dan" that the title was in the mail. I = handed the problem off to my wife, who is pretty assertive on the phone (th= e dealer is about 45 minutes away). When she asked "Dan" for his last name,= he hung up on her. I then called the St John police department (yesterday)= and was told that the detective wouldn't be in until Tuesday (because of t= he holiday), but we were welcome to leave a message, although in her opinio= n, it "sounded like a civil matter". What is our next step? (by the way, th= e VIN # is 1FAFP52U6XG293347 ) Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Mark Goodall

Reply to
Mark Goodall

[...]

Sounds criminal -- grand theft and fraud.

Reply to
News

this VIN shows no theft reports or total loss reported to the national insurance crime bureau..

is the VIN off the door? or dashboard? if its different then possibly it's been in a wreck and the doors been changed.

take it someone you trust, preferably with some body shop knowledge and a lift and have them do a super thorough inspection, to check everything for wreck or theft damage.

Reply to
Rob

Rob, the VIN on the door matches the plate on the dash, and if the car isn't stolen, then is it typical for a used car dealer not to come up with a title a month and a half later? By the way, thanks for running the VIN. Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodall

he is stalling most likely because the title was not in his name,. it might have been a consignment sale or he bought it to sell, but was stalling getting a title in his dealership name since he didn't want to spend the money, so now he's waiting for it to be approved from previous owner to you.

or maybe he's hiding the fact it's a wreck, which is why I say inspect the hell out of it. I have heard of situations where dealer in state A buys a wreck in State B, but in turn sells it for 1 dollar to his younger brother in State C. the younger brother just happens to own a body shop, rebuilds the wreck and sell it back to original buyer (his older brother). when the Title crosses state lines, it goes from a salvage title to a regular title. this usually takes a while.

the national insurance crime bureau web site says it was never REPORTED as totaled or stolen. who knows? it might have never been reported.

Regardless he is stalling for some reason. The law needs to look into it. If the local guys blows you off, go over his head to the State level. they are the ones who license this so called 'dealer' in the first place.

Reply to
Rob

And your question or issue has what exactly to do with Chrysler?

Reply to
MoPar Man

Contact the State of Indiana, Secretary of State, Auto Dealers Services Division immediately and ask who to contact to file an official complaint with the state.

SRN

Granted, the name of this group is rec.autos.makers.chrysler and you might think a post regarding a Ford product off-topic, but I would have to argue that *any* used make of car should be of concern to the members of this group. There are a lot of used cars on the market nowadays, Chrysler or otherwise.

Perhaps we could give Mr. Goodall the benefit of the doubt? Perhaps he meant to post in r.a.m.ford, but got a little confused? He seems rather upset that neither he or his son can get the dealership to resolve this issue.

James Rau

Reply to
James Rau

There are more general auto groups (not specific to a particular brand) on usenet that get way more traffic than this group. So right off the bat it would have been more appropriate to post there instead of here.

And in addition, cross-post to groups like misc.consumers, alt.legal, etc would have been useful for him.

Reply to
MoPar Man

Thanks to everyone who replied. Other than having to let my son use my aili= ng plymouth grand voyager, my defense for posting in this group is that I l= ooked at a ford group, no posts since 2005. I posted on this site about the= minivan, and got response, and I reasoned that my question could help chry= sler owners. No offense intended, thanks. Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodall

I am 17 yeas old and I purchesd a 1997 Nissan Altima from Dan at the same place on 02/21/2012. And one week later the car started smoking and rattling and shuting off so I took it to an autoshop. The next day the autoshop owner told me about how one of his coustomers purchesed a car from a dealer ship in gary and she had experenced similar problems. So she reported the insident to the attorny general, they investigated the dealership and found out there were multiple cars that they did not even have titles for, and as a result the dealer ship was shut down. I believe you should report Dan and Triple M Motors inc. to the attorny general and file a complaint at:

Mr.Kelly

Thanks to everyone who responded. Problem solved. I contacted the Sec. of S= tate of Indiana. I was given the name of a field agent in this area. She pa= id them a visit, and the next day they contacted me and were suddenly very = helpful. My son now has the correct title for the car. = Mark.

Reply to
Mark Goodall

Wow.

Someone posting to usenet who's actually younger than usenet. !

Reply to
MoPar Man

State of Indiana. I was given the name of a field agent in this area. She = paid them a visit, and the next day they contacted me and were suddenly ver= y helpful. My son now has the correct title for the car. = Mark.

I am pleased to hear that you got this resolved. My Dad once bought a "thef= t recovery" from a used car lot. Even though the ins. company had settled, = it took a year to get things sorted out, so that he could get the title.

KM

Reply to
greybuck

I work with a very large auto parts franchise close to triple M motors and have noticed problems with almost all of their cars do not buy here. Not to mention they buy nothing but cans of fix a flat and things to only TEMPORA IRLY fix the issue be weary of the vehicle id say honestly get rid of it wh ile you still can

Reply to
alaina6856