Help With Clutch

Driving down the road tried changing down a gear and it wont let me so pulled hard on the gear stick it went in gear and then i heard a clunck in the engine bay then my pedal has no resistance? does this sound like a clutch, or the cable?

I have a 1998 chrysler neon, i rang my nearest dealer and they said its not a cable its hydroglic is this true?

Reply to
giggsmanu11

I believe this is correct. I don't believe that any manufacturers use cable activated clutches anymore. Your owner's manual should indicate a resevoir/master cylinder for the clutch. Since they are hydraulic, they can have the same types of failures as brake systems, such as leaks, worn pistons, and related problems.

-KM

Reply to
greybuck84

My 1970 Super Bee did something similar. Had the transmission in neutral and while I had the clutch pedal depressed, all of a sudden there was a "bang" and my clutch pedal no longer had any "resistance". The throw out bearing had bent the pressure plate forks and finally went passed them. Guess it froze up, and heated up the forks enough that the bearing bent them inwards towards the engine until it got past them.

Larry Behold Beware Believe

Reply to
Leviathan