HELP !! with my 1978 B-200 .

I just bought a MINT Factory Custom 78' Dodge B-200 by Grand Systems. I am the second owner of this van. The first owner had it in a Garage for

25 yrs, and it has 63,000 original miles on the 400 big block. The first owner thought he had a 360 in it. # 1- When I brought the van home it had some hesitation. The first thing I did was a tune-up Wires,plugs,cap,and rotor. That didn't work. # 2-- I thought it maybe the Carb. It had a 2 BBl, so I replaced it with a Edelbrock Performer intake, and 650 4BBl carb. That didn't work. # 3-- Rechecked the timing. It was a little out, but not much. That didn't work. # 4-- Replaced all the vacume hoses. That didn't work. # 5-- Replaced the vac. controll unit. that didn't work. # 6-- Checked the vacume with a vac meter. It is fine. # 7-- Checked the carb float level. Fine. This is where I am at, STUCK !!

Recap--- The van starts up fine. If I take it for a drive the van hesitates as you give it the gas. If you give it too much gas too fast it will back-fire. It drives fine on the highway. The motor dosen't smoke at all( just to let you know). Too me it sounds like a mild skip when at idling, but the Mopar guys at the weekly cruise night, said it sounds fine to them. They think it's the timing.I say a small vacume leak. I want to change the intake gasket again. What do you think??? I don't know what else to do.

Reply to
Russ B.

Certainly sounds like some kind of spark issue.

When you talked about your tune-up, you didn't mention the coil. Assuming that's OK, and the 12V connections to it are clean, the next thing I'd check for is a worn distributor drive.

Reply to
Dave Gower

You got the firing order right 18436572 5 and 7 are easily switched!

You checked timing with vacuum advance unhooked?

Could be bad timing chain they had the silent (plastic cam gear) back then and they wear excessively!

Did you try advancing the timing a few degree's?

Compression test? Leak down?

You got the vacuum advance on ported vacuum and not manifold??

Check the distributor for shaft play.

Try accelerator pump in anther position hole

Dodgem

Dave Gower wrote:

Reply to
Dodge-Him

Hi Russ, Way back when, I had a 1978 DODGE STRETCH VAN (biggest one) and I have a FACTORY MANUAL, lots of assorted parts, ignition wires and so on from my auto parts sales days.

If you are interested, let me know, and I will SELL them at a reasonable price. I can give you my ebay ID that shows a very good to excellent feedback ratio.

437 individual positives, 1 neg, 655 total positives. I was/will put the whole lot up on ebay eventually, if I do NOT hear from you.

Howard

Reply to
howard

Hey Guys,

I fixed the problem !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, I broke down and had a trouble shooter fix it for me. The problem was the carb. Even though it was brand new, and I had it set right. I needed smaller dia. metering rods, and a stronger spring. The 650 Edlebrock card was really set up for a small block. I needed more gas. Everything else I did was right. I will put another set of plugs just to be sure they are good. After all I put the plugs I have in it now thru hell.

I am looking to get some headers for the van. Again the motor In have is the 400 big block. I am also looking to buy an air dam for it. Let me know if anyone has stuff for this van. 1978 Dodge B-200. Standard length van.

Thanks, Russ

Reply to
Russ B.