Help with Oil Pump on 2.5l 1996 Cirrus

I have a 1996 Cirrus 2.5l. The oil light flickers at idle. We have change the oil- using 10w30 per manual and premium Wix or Chrysler filter. The dealer says the oil pump needs replaced. The low estimate is $1500.00 to replace it! I tried to find an article on Allpar, and couldnt find one. this isnt a fairly simple procedure shouldnt it?

Reply to
partsmore

Check one of the responses at this link:

Art

Reply to
maxpower

One possibility is if your idle is low (due to any number of reasons), the oil pressure at idle could drop below the threshold of the oil light. Proper idle speed should be easy to check - if that's not it, you've lost nothing, and if it is it, it could save you from wasting a lot of money on an unneeded oil pump.

Bill Putney

Reply to
mic canic