Help with Serpentine Belt replacement

1997 Plymouth Voyager 3.3L.

I just replaced the serpentine belt, which approached the limit of my mechanical abilities, but seemed to go well, i.e. no problems that I noticed. Now, however, when I drive the car, I get a hideous squeal or grind (Sorry, I know, but it really does sound like both at times), but only when I turn the steering wheel, or accelerate from a stop. Since my personal driving patterns require me to do both, I need to get this fixed. Anyone have an idea and an hint?

thanks in advance, Patrick boyd

Reply to
patrick boyd

Sounds like the belt is slipping under load from the power steering pump. I've never had the belt off a 3.3, but I believe they are supposed to have an automatic tensioner, but even so they typically have to be set up properly initially. Sounds like yours isn't right and the belt is too loose.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Reply to
jdoe

if the belt tensioner was stuck or didnt want to move when you took the belt off Im sure it didnt spring back to apllie tension on the belt, My guess is the tensioner is faulty Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
damnnickname