Hemi Problem 2005, engine missing

Have a 2005 Grand Cherokee Hemi which misses on low acceleration like it has a bad wire. Happens since new and now 3000mi. Dealer put scope on and test drove. Says it is normal transmission hunting and there is nothing wrong. Was test driven by their district mechanic who also said it is normal. A transmission hunts at 65mph. I would hope it found the 5th gear by then.

I'm sure the problem is the engine and would appreciate feelings as to where to look. Can the dealer computer see a bad wire or coil? Is it throttle body injection or high pressure direct to the cylinder? Problem is at cruising speed or low acceleration only. Can feel nothing amiss at heavy acceleration.

Reply to
JR

phil

The EFI is niether TBI nor "direct to cylinder." Its the usual intake port fuel injection setup.

Yes, a dealer's scope setup should be able to detect a bad wire. Furthermore, the engine controller should detect the misfire and set a "check engine light." That's part of the OBD-III requirement

I must confess, I haven't kept up with the Jeep implementation of the Hemi- is it the same version as in the Ram trucks, or the passenger car vesrion like the 300/Magnum/Charger? If its the latter, you might just be feeling the MDS at work, deactivating 4 of the cylinders under light load operation. YES, it DOES have MDS, so maybe you're just feeling that working. I've never felt it in a

300 or Magnum, though, and most people report that they can't even tell its operating. You can sometimes HEAR the change in exhaust note, but it seems odd to be able to feel it.

JR wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
mic canic

Thanks Steve. I will insist on that scope test. I do not get a Check Engine light. I do not think it is the MDS. Can even be felt at 65mph. Feels like a missfire.

Reply to
JR

I also have a 2005 Jeep Hemi with the problem. Been back to the dealer many many many times. It still does it. I am waiting for a district rep to look at it. I can't stand driving it!

Reply to
Joe