Hitch/Towing questions for 300m

I need a hitch for pulling up to 2000LBS

I would like something that can come off when I am not using it.

What do you recommend and who should install it? A dealer, Canadian tire, the trailer shop?

Also.

The trailer sales rep said I might need to have a transmission cooler put on the car. Is this needed?

I would be _VERY_ careful when pulling the trailer and would never push the car. The longest haul would probably be 5 hours at a time on the highway.

Thanks,

Steve.

Reply to
Steve

Steve - notwithstanding worhtwhile advice you might get here, you might consider posting to the 300M Enthusiasts Club forums

I know at least one avid poster there (SDMike) has a hitch on his M. Not sure if it's removable, but certainly he can add insight to your questions on brakes, tranny cooler (it already has one from the factory, but does it need more?), and towing capacity. I'm thinking, trailer or no trailer, that the LH cars aren't the most trouble-free as far as brakes (vibration - possibly warp-induced), so I would consider brakes on the trailer no matter what. Get Performance Friction Z-Rated? pads for the M - they are exceptional and cost no more than run-of-the-mill pads. Don't worry too much about the rear brakes - focus on the fronts - that's where the heat and problems are.

Might also consider replacing cooling fan assembly with police package replacement (which, believe it or not is actually cheaper than non-police - go figure!). Your fans are only good for about 100k miles anyway - so if the "opportunity" comes up for replacing them...

Bill Putney