Holley 4 barrel on 440.

Having a problem on my Jensen Interceptor (440 Chrysler motor), in that once it's warm it floods big time.

According to my local garage, the jets in the Holley carb are probably way too large which makes sense to me. The carb appears to be putting too much fuel in, even for a 440ci motor.

Now, my problem is this.

How do I discern which Holley it is, and what are the right jets to use?

Only marks on the Holley appear to be 6R 6931 on the top, but that means bugger all to me.

Doesn't help being in the UK, not many grease monkeys know anything about Holleys.

Any clues?

Reply to
Pete M

I'm not a Holley guru (I speak Carter) so I'm not even going to try to identify the carb... BUT! I don't think its very likely that the jets are too big- why would the problem suddenly show up if it were the jets?

Holley carbs use a "power valve" enrichment system instead of metering rods like Carters. One common thing that happens to Holleys is that the power valve diaphragm will fail, and the symptom is that you get full enrichment all the time- in other words, it drowns in fuel. My guess is that its a blown power valve.

You might see if you can get some help from

Pete M wrote:

Reply to
Steve

As Steve said the jets will not be too large. First things morons say when looking at a flooding carburetor. But good clue to get the hell away from him! Most likely it needs a new power valve and it likely needs new needles and seats. the O-rings go in them. A kit is in order with a new power valve or two if it has a rear power valve. They really are dirt easy to take apart and clean, install new gaskets, needles and seats, power valve and set fuel levels. I pre set fuel levels in the bowls by holding bowl up side down and turning nut until the float is level. (nut adjusts fuel level screw locks it down!) Invert to regular and float drops down and will rise and close needle as fuel level rises. Give yourself some time to scrape and soak old gaskets off. Buy a book like Super Tuning and modifying HOLLEY CARBURETORS by Dave Emanuel. everything you need is likely at the holley sight!!

That number does not come up in my book or the holley sight the number you want will be on the front of the choke tower. It may also be on the metering block. If that is the number it may be a Chrysler number! sometimes the manufactures number was used by them only but Holley tech will be able to help you!

Barry A. Lee

Pete M wrote:

Reply to
Dodge-Him

Yeah, no way it's the jets. If a rebuild doesn't fix it, you may need a fuel pressure regulator, and/or a vapor return line, and/or some heat isolation (shield plate, thick gaskets, etc.) This is because, at least in the USA, what passes for gasoline today bols at very low temps.

Rick "Dodge-Him" >

Reply to
Richard Ehrenberg

In news:42791ce7$0$79458$ snipped-for-privacy@news.sunsite.dk, Pete M decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

After a bit more ferreting around, it turns out it's a 3310 Holley, and after further investigation and from the replies, it appears to be a blown power valve as described by yourselves.

Now I just need to find someone who sells power valves in the UK..

Oh joy.

Thanks for the advice though..

Reply to
Pete M

While you're at it, see if you can get the widget that Holley sells to help prevent blown power valves. Its basically a leaky check-valve that prevents a backfire from blowing the PV diaphragm. It may actually be built into new power valves, but like I said, I don't really speak Holley since all my cars have Carters- but you can't hang around Mopars without hearing about them enough to learn a few things by osmosis.

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
Dodge-Him

Reply to
Dodge-Him

In news:KPWdnRlRb snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com, Dodge-Him carb.

There are speed shops etc, but to be honest most of the tuned stuff in the UK tends to be either mad Jap stuff, or Rover V8 based.

Not many people seem to know that much about Holleys, and those that do know about them tend not to know about rebuilding the bloody things.

However, I'm learning :-)

Reply to
Pete M

Before I took my first one apart over 20 years ago I was apprehensive. They are dirt easy. They look more complicated than they are. The power valve takes a little understanding but at high vacuum (idle cruise) the diaphragm closes what is in fact an extra jet. Under acceleration the vacuum drops and the diaphragm relaxes opening allowing more fuel for acceleration. When it becomes cracked or perforated in any way it stays open allowing raw fuel to run in at idle and cruise!

I test them a crude way I suck on then then stick my tongue to it like you do in the opening of a coke bottle (on the diaphragm side) if it clings its still good if it drops off it is bad. Of course you can usually tell just by the symptoms. if the float levels are not to high then it is the power valve.

Float levels are checked through those little brass screws on the side of the float bowls. Fuel should be about even with the bottom of the sight hole.

If your vacuum secondaries are malfunctioning there are kits for it to. There is a little tube in on the passenger side right barrel just above the ventures and as air passes with the main throttle bores open wide it creates a vacuum above the ventures that vacuum works thorgh that tube on the diaphragm in the vacuum canister on the side of the carb, vacuum overcomes the spring in the vacuum secondaries allowing the back barrels to open when needed. Three things cause this to mnalfuntion. the diaphragm cracks or tears, the diaphragm is installed improperly thus not sealing and the gasket at the body of the carb where canister mates to is defective (or lost) Dodgem

These places will ship world wide from the US. They both have excellent on line catalogs.

To find carbs and kits online store/ air and fuel delivery/holley For books at summit online store/ books/ holley

This would be an excellent book from Sunmmit! HLY-36-155

$28.69 Estimated Ship Date: Today Overview Brand: Holley Product Line: Holley How-To and Reference Manuals Title: Super Tuning Holley Carburetors Author: Alex Walordy Pages: 68 Binding: Paperback Quantity: Sold individually.

Learn more about Holley fuel system products.

Book, "Super Tuning Holley Carburetors", 68 Pages, Paperback, Each

Have you ever wanted to know how to rebuild a carburetor? Set up a car for bracket racing? How about exploded illustrations of current Holley carbs? These Holley how-to and reference manuals have you covered with in-depth technical information and plenty of photos and illustrations.

Reply to
Dodge-Him

In news: snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com, Dodge-Him

Reply to
Pete M

Reply to
Dodge-Him

In news: snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com, Dodge-Him some are much worse than others some groups are better than others!

Zackly..

No offence meant by "US", btw... forgot about you lot up there!

Reply to
Pete M

We're on top so if this were prison they would be our bitch! LOL Dodgem

Good luck with that car. have seen a couple at flee markets cool car!

Pete M wrote:

Reply to
Dodge-Him

In news:jvidnchczd snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com, Dodge-Him Dodgem

It'll be cool when it runs right.

Looking forwards to spending the summer with the top down, and my credit card on standby to fuel the bloody thing..

You ever tried running a 10 mpg car at UK fuel prices? Especially one with a motor as nice as the 440...

Reply to
Pete M

Reply to
Dodge-Him

The first part is probably lost on most participants here...

:-) DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

I run one on American prices. I suspect we're about even. You pay 3x as much at the pump, but you're probably not quite as tempted to drive it

500 miles on any given weekend as I am.
Reply to
Steve

True..

£4.00 a gallon is a bit much though.
Reply to
Pete M

In news:42791ce7$0$79458$ snipped-for-privacy@news.sunsite.dk, Pete M decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Problem solved, thanks to all those that replied.

Reply to
Pete M