How do I remove the windshield wiper pivot bushings?

93 Dodge Shadow, 2.2 engine

My wife's driver side wiper was just flopping around, but mostly not moving. Turns out the "pivot" is broken. That is the thing that the blade mounts on the top and the two motor arms (not the official name) attach to at the bottom. The motor moves the first arm and it causes the pivot to move back and forth to move the wiper blade and the other arm that goes over to the passenger side.

I can't figure out how to remove the bushings (official name) so I can get the arms off of the old broken pivot so I can put the new one on. The bushings seem to be made of rubber, at least on the outside. The dealer told me they are not available separately so if I ruin them, I have to replace the arms to get new bushings.

It just doesn't make sence to me, I see no way to get them off. I have tried some gentle prying with screw drivers, and pulling and twisting with pliers. The studs that stick out of the new pivot piece have a groove around them as if a clip ring could go in it to hold the arms, but they use these bushings instead.

Does anyone know how to remove these bushings so I can put in the new pivot and then re-use the bushings to re-attach the arms? If it will help, I have placed a picture on my web page in case you need to see exactly what mine looks like. It is not the best picture because I had to take it in the dark. If no-one answers tonight I will replace it tomorrow with one taken in the day time.

Thanks for any help.

Gary Stewart reply to the group please

Reply to group or email snipped-for-privacy@nb.net

Reply to
The Stewarts

I went back to the dealer to ask what to do. A mechanic was sitting in the parts office and told me that he uses a pair of needle nose pliers that has the last 2 inches bent (this is a normal tool, not a doctored up one). He just prys the arm and bushing off the stud on the pivot bracket. He puts the pliers below the arm next to the rubber of the bushing and prys up. He said 99% of the time the bushing survives. I tried it and it worked. They came off pretty easy and went back on the new pivot braket real easy.

Thanks,

Gary Stewart