How many quarts of tanny fluid do i need......

Hi I just changed the filter on my 1994 dodge caravan and I put in 4 quarts of fluid like the guy at the auto parts store told me too but now when I check the dip stick it is very low...below the add mark....I have a chrysler 3 litre v6 engine..I am not sure what type tanny I have...When I got the stuff to change my filter the guy at the auto store only gave me 4 qaurts.....Is that all it takes or is that the correct about of fluid it should take? Please reply as soon as you can....My e-mail address is snipped-for-privacy@aol.com...Thank you!

Reply to
Jean

I changed the ATF and filter on my '95 Intrepid (3.3L V6) this summer. The old stuff came out looking like an oily, evil smelling gravey. Like you, I poured in 4 quarts of new fluid because that is what the manual said. Let me tell you this is not enough because the car would not move! Through a process of adding small amounts of ATF at a time and driving the car (I have buggered up an auto box up in the past by over filling it) I got the car moving again. I reckon that this process actually took up to 7 to 8 quarts before the car was fully functional. But they do not tell you this in the manual.

The fluid type I used was ATF+3 Type 7176F, but do not know if this is the same for Caravan.

Checking the fluid with the dipstick is only useful when the engine is hot and and the engine is running. Checking it cold gives a false reading. It is the complete opposite of checking engine oil.

Best of Luck

Alan

Cheltenham England

Reply to
Amos

according to autozone online, a 94 caravan just takes Dexron=AEII, and a

3 speed auto takes between 17 pints (8.5 quarts) (except fleet) - 18.4 pints (9.2 quarts) (fleet), and a 4 speed auto takes 18.2 pints (9.1 quarts)

hope this helps u

Amos wrote:

Reply to
mechjames

Normally 4 quarts, Keep in mind if the level was low before you changed it it will take more to get it to the fill mark

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
damnnickname

Do NOT use Dexron unless you want to buy a new transmission! Use Mopar brand ATF+4 or the older, original fluid, ATF+3 only!

Every time I've dropped the pan and changed the fluid and filter, I've measured what I got out and then put that amount back in. After draining overnight, it is usually 6 quarts give or take a pint or so. 4 quarts will likely not be enough.

Bob

3 speed auto takes between 17 pints (8.5 quarts) (except fleet) - 18.4 pints (9.2 quarts) (fleet), and a 4 speed auto takes 18.2 pints (9.1 quarts)

hope this helps u

Amos wrote:

Reply to
Bob Shuman

If you haven't done it yet I would recommend a flush as well, to get all the oil changed. The is much more than 4 qts in there! I just did same on my '95 Concord and the shifting smoothness is now as new.

Reply to
Some O

I am amazed that they still publish this kind of blatant misinformation. Do not use Dexron II in your vehicle. It is not the correct fluid. I thought that everybody had cleared up that misconception years ago.

I have always thought that the people who say unpleasant things about Auto Zone in this forum were just being arrogant and mean. I have found the folks at my local Auto Zone store to be quite helpful and knowledgeable. But this is ridiculous. To the curmudgeons who warned people here about Auto Zone, I'm sorry. You were right.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

There still seems to be some confusion on this. On the transmission dipstick on my 1990 Dodge Spirit, it says that Dexron II can be used, even though it recommends ATF+3 in the manual. I am guessing that back in 1989-90, ATF+3 was not readily available like it is now. I was in Walmart the other day, and I was surprised to see Chrysler branded ATF4 on the shelf.=20

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

Flushing is the way to go, it's documented here:

Ted Mittelstaedt