How to increase towing capacity (02, Grand Car, AWD)

2002 , Grand Caravan ES, AWD. Specs say 2000 (less the 300 pound drive shaft, give or take).

Looking at a 2500-3000 pound trailer. Obviously a transmission oil cooler would be one way to increase the towing amount, but by how much?

Also, perhaps a second fan for the rad?

The rear shocks are self height adjusting, I do have the full spare, I am more interested in what else I can do to cool the fluids to bring the tow rating up about 1,000 pounds.

???

PT_Sean

Not to be flippant, but buy a Durango instead. Minivans are wretched tow vehicles, and the recommended trailer weight is low for a reason. Its one thing to push 300 pounds past the recommendation, but pushing a full 50% past the recommendation is just asking for trouble, ESPECIALLY with the AWD driveline.

But in truth, I don't think driveline stress is the biggest problem- towing an over-weight trailer with a FWD vehicle (and the AWD version still gets the bulk of its drive from the FRONT wheels) is dangerous. The vehicle dynamics are terrible.

Reply to
Steve

I don't know about the 2002 models but my 99 T&C LTD AWD is rated at 3500lb towing capacity (It does have the trailer tow pkg). The extra pkg was $295 CAN at the time so it probably just amounts to more cooling capacity (and a trailer wiring harness) . The hitch was not included.

Reply to
Will Halina

S:

That is easy.

Just convert the front-wheel-drive, uni-body chassis to a rear-wheel-drive, body-on-frame design and you should be OK. Or else buy one of the big truck-based SUVs.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Gates

The main reason towing capacity is low is the AWD driveline and the rear axle is not designed for the weight. You could tow more safely with a non AWD caravan.

Reply to
Kevin