how to program key fob

I have copied and pasted they here from another site altho the manual describes how to program a keyless fob if you have an existing one, it doesn't explain what to do if that doesn't work (I couldn't get a ready chime) or if you do not have an existing one. Hope this helps all us 'keylueless' people.

Here is a quick HowTo on programming your own keyless entry:

1) Turn ignition to OFF. 2) Locate the Data Link Connector, its a black 16 pin connecter that is under the driver's side dash, right where your right knee would be. You have to look up into the dash from below to see it. 3) Ground pin 1 of the Data Link Connector by taking a wire or paper clip and running it from pin 1 to pin 4. Pin 4 is ground so you can just short pin 1 to 4 and it will be grounded. Grounding pin 1 tells the system you are ready to reprogram it. 4) Close all of your doors. 5) Turn the key to ACC then back off. The power door locks will lock/unlock. This is the signal that the system is ready for reprogramming. 6) Push a button on your key fob, doesn't matter which button. 7) If you have 2 key fobs, then press a button on the 2nd fob within 1 minute of pressing a button on the 1st fob. Both must be programmed at the same time. If you only have 1 fob then press a button 2 more times to signal that you only have one. 8) The doors will lock/unlock to signal the codes were received. 9) Remove the jumper wire from the data connector.
Reply to
G-dog

What years/models is this for. I was under the impression for the 2nd gen. LH cars that without a working FOB, you have to go to the dealer to have one programed.

Bill Putney

When I purchased my 2002 GC, I insisted on them getting me an owners manual. I am glad I did.

I do recall reading in the manual how to program a new FOB into the system, and for that make and model you do NOT have to go to the dealer. Also, you do NOT have to program all FOBs at once. The computer remebers the last 4 FOBs programmed. So you DO want to verify FOB operations after programming - just in case.

I also recall that you d>G-dog wrote:

Reply to
NewMan

Depending on the year and model will depend on the proper way to program remotes. The older style LHS's had to a have a wire grounded in order to program them. Some models have to have all key fobs in hand to program, If one is programmed and the others are not in hand those will loose the program. Some models will require that you already have 2 key fobs programmed before you can do it yourself on the 3rd one. If there is not 2 already programmed then the dealer will have to use the scan tool to program it.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
philthy

Interesting!! The only wire that could have burnt up if grounded would have been the fused B+. if this wire was grounded why would the harness burn up? It is protected by a fuse. SRI recieve and transmit would not burn the harness if grounded. PCI bus would not burn up if grounded. Flash program circuit would not burn up if grounded and of course the ground wire would not burn up if grounded. would this be another one of your stories?

Glenn

Reply to
damnnickname

Reply to
bllsht

I just thought maybe he left something out like maybe the cust got cold and built a small fire under the dash to keep his feet warm and the harness melted that way. Its hard to tell!!

Glenn

Reply to
damnnickname

Reply to