How to remove black plastic plugs?

I have a '95 Lebaron convertible.

Want to remove the center console, but there are two black plastic somethingorothers on the left side, in the carpet, with smooth slightly domed tops, and I can't seem to pry them out. Two different size heads.

In the trunk, I want to open the left side of the box that separates the trunk from the convertible top, but again, two black plastic things like above.

I think they may be Christmas tree plugs, but they don't come out as easily as those usually do.

Am I expected to break them and buy new ones, because I can, but even that would take more force than I usually expend? And I can imagine having a hard time getting new ones that hold tight enough and have heads big enough to cover the unbleached carpet.

Is there some trick?

If you email me, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. If necessary, change domain to erols.com.

Directions are given as if you know nothing. There's a big range here but I don't know who knows what.

Reply to
meirman

Grasp head with pliers, turn approximately 90 degrees and pull/pry HARD. You're not prying hard enough. Sometimes they break and you have to get new ones, but usually they can be reused at least once.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

In rec.autos.makers.chrysler on Sat, 13 Aug 2005 15:15:42 -0400 "Daniel J. Stern" posted:

OK. If I need a new car after this, you're going to have to pay part.

I guess with GM door panels, I had better leverage, so I didn't realize how tough these are.

If you email me, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. If necessary, change domain to erols.com.

Directions are given as if you know nothing. There's a big range here but I don't know who knows what.

Reply to
meirman

Dan's technique will work, but there is a gadget that I find is easier: it's sort of like a *really* wide-blade (think 1 1/2") screwdriver with a slot up the middle. They're cheap at AutoZone; I think they call them something like "auto trim removal tool".

I have a nearby NAPA store that has very nearly exact duplicates for just about every trim plug I've ever seen.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

In rec.autos.makers.chrysler on 13 Aug 2005 19:39:40 -0600 Joe Pfeiffer posted:

I forgot about those, or hadn't figured out what exactly they were for!

OK, thanks a lot.

If you email me, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. If necessary, change domain to erols.com.

Directions are given as if you know nothing. There's a big range here but I don't know who knows what.

Reply to
meirman

In rec.autos.makers.chrysler on 13 Aug 2005 19:39:40 -0600 Joe Pfeiffer posted:

BTW, the fiber-board at the corner was already bent by the previous guy, probably the previous alarm installer, using his hands to pull the fiberboard out. But it doesn't look bad and it's only the trunk.

The alarm was also the reason I had to open it up, to run the wire for the trunk release.

OK, I got one yesterday. 7 dollars at Pep-Boys. It worked great!

Pep-Boys has a two-month return limit now. I don't recall any parts store ever having a real limit before, and I know that Advance has twice taken things back that I've had for more than 2 years, and Salvo once for something that I'd had a year. The stuff was in the original condition, and they didn't bat an eye about the date. Although one or two joked about it, so they noticed it.

I don't like this two-month rule, but I knew I would use the tool within a day or two.

It was much bigger than I thought it would be, but esp. on the console, it worked great. I should have bought one 40 years ago. I would have had it all this time.

Good to know. They don't look to bad this time, but I haven't put anything back yet.

Reply to
meirman