I am Confused ! ATF+3 or ATF+4 in 99 Dodge Caravan 3.3L

After reading all the posts about which fluid to use in my 99 Caravan transmission, i am still confused. Is it OK to use ATF+4 or should i stay with ATF+3.Thanks Rick

Reply to
Rick Yerke

TSB 21-006-01 googled for you.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

The part that always confuses me is the following:

*NOTE: This bulletin applies to all transmissions manufactured by Chrysler except for 1999 and earlier minivans with the 41TE/AE transmission.*

I understand this to mean that 1999 and earlier minivans should not use ATF+4, if they have the 41TE/AE transmission.

Am I correct?

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

Your confusion is quite understandable, given the contradictory statements DC has issued on the matter. People will argue until the cows come home about your question. They will brandish and declare as authoritative various versions of the Chrysler transmission fluid TSB. The +4 is significantly improved in just about every way compared to +3, and Chrysler has issued statements that +4 is acceptable in all applications originally specced for +3, including pre-2000 minivans. However, +3 is less expensive than +4, and Chrysler has issued statements that +4 might cause the torque converter lockup clutch to chatter in pre-2000 minivans.

In your position, I would use +4.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

ATF+4 is compatiable with ATF+3 and ATF+2. ATF+4 can be used to top off vehicles that already have ATF+2 or ATF+3.(TOP OFF ONLY) They say not to use ATF+2 or ATF+3 to top off vehicles that have ATF+4 fluid. Whenever the factory fill is changed, use ATF plus 3 type 7176

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Unless your putting in a new, rebuilt transmission, since the rebuilt transmission in a minivan will have the same parts as a rebuilt transmission in any other vehicle, including a post-1999 minivan. (actually it might have a heavy duty

10' torque converter, but this is of no importance to the fluid) In that case use ATF +4. Trans programming might be different but I have never read or heard anyone say that they thought trans computer reprogramming would make the vehicle 'more compatible' with ATF +4 or ATF +3.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Reply to