I can't believe Chrysler service!!!

Last week I took my '01 Cruiser in for two recalls. Power steering hose. Child seat latch. I told the service writer about the anti-theft device, car won't start unless a certain thing is done. He acknowledged this. So, I went into the lounge, then I looked over the new cars, and decided that I'd walk over to the McDonalds for a coffee and McMuffin. When I came back from McD's, I looked to see if my car was outside. It was, the hood was up, a "technician" was working. I expressed disappointment that the car was still outside. He said, "It won't start!" I told him how to start it, that I HAD TOLD THE ASSHOLE THAT WROTE ME UP HOW TO START IT. "Oh yeah, I forgot to tell him." This was a big joke between the service people, the technicians, the parts people, and the sales people. So, a couple more hours, I'm called, the car is finished. A few days later, I get a postcard that the parts they ordered are in. WHAT PARTS?? I was told that the car was finished, I don't need no steenking parts! So this morining I called. It seems that when they shave down the seat latches, one of them broke and they had to order a complete seat frame for the 60% size seat. They forgot to tell me this. They're all booked this week, do I want to make an appointment for next week? I got a better idea, since the seats are removable, I'll stop down, you take out the seat, fix it at your leisure, call me whenever, and I'll come down and you can put it back in. Nope, can't do this, gotta make an appointment, bring it in at a specific time to have the work done. This is because there will be no charge to me. I should be glad to be getting the frame no charge since the car is out of warranty. WHAT!! YOU BROKE THE F*@KIN' THING, WHY SHOULDN'T IT BE FREE OF CHARGE. What a way to do business!!

Reply to
TomKan

Suggest you post the dealer's name and location so others can benefit from your experience and avoid them.

...Lousy service experience deleted...

Reply to
Bob Shuman

On the other hand, they at least ordered the part for the broken seat that you didn't know about and made sure they fixed it right. Not great service, I agree but there are far worse stories out there.

Reply to
Art

On the other hand, they at least ordered the part for the broken seat that you didn't know about and made sure they fixed it right. =A0Not great service, I agree but there are far worse stories out there.

Of course I didn't know it was broken. It wasn't broken when I took the car in. They left me leave the store believing the job was complete. This and the fact that they won't let me just leave the seat with them to be repaired and re-installed at a later date is what ticks me off. I will either have to wait a couple hours for the repair to be done or leave the car. It seems to me that their goal is to inconvenience and piss off their customers and then laugh at them.

Reply to
TomKan

Of course I didn't know it was broken. It wasn't broken when I took the car in. They left me leave the store believing the job was complete. This and the fact that they won't let me just leave the seat with them to be repaired and re-installed at a later date is what ticks me off. I will either have to wait a couple hours for the repair to be done or leave the car. It seems to me that their goal is to inconvenience and piss off their customers and then laugh at them.

You might want to post this on CarTalk.com. I don't know if they still take negative reports. I found the quality of dealers very uneven, extraordinarily uneven. I was ripped of in Newport, RI, where all the extraordinarily rich people are. They were so bad it was not even funny. Complained to AAA, of little use. How bad? In a snow storm coming back, had to re-attach a hose. Car could have overheated and self-destructed if I had not stopped and caught a hose that was not put back properly. And they charged me for work not done. Hose was not replaced and so on. Bums.

In my own locale, two dealerships. One is fantastic, so far, knock on wood, with a clean, carpeted waiting room and free coffee, and offers to pick me up or drop me off. The other dealership is extremely uneven, like your experience. Cranky and rude at times. Other times, depending on the person, very nice. Generally I would give Chrysler dealerships a somewhat low grade, most of the time. Now a Mercedes dealership, is often quite superb. So it's confusing since Daimler bought Chrysler. Go figure. Come to think of it, the one Chrysler dealership I found that is fantastic, is probably influenced by Mercedes. They do everything but pick up the car which the Mercedes dealership will do, yes?

What to look for? If they have mechanics, over 40, with gray hair, quiet, competent, that's a really good place. When the mechanics are very young, surly, and have trouble forming consonants, let alone vowels, that's a place to avoid. This is not to say I have not met older Chrysler mechanics who were surly, possibly even dangerous. I remember one refused to do something I needed so I told him to give me the wrench and I would do it myself. He was not amused. Later, I told this to my boss who had worked with this particular fellow and he told me I was lucky he did not attack me with the said wrench. Interesting times?

Reply to
Treeline

[...]

What to look for? If they have mechanics, over 40, with gray hair, quiet, competent, that's a really good place. When the mechanics are very young, surly, and have trouble forming consonants, let alone vowels, that's a place to avoid. This is not to say I have not met older Chrysler mechanics who were surly, possibly even dangerous. I remember one refused to do something I needed so I told him to give me the wrench and I would do it myself. He was not amused. Later, I told this to my boss who had worked with this particular fellow and he told me I was lucky he did not attack me with the said wrench. Interesting times? I talk too much.

Reply to
Treeline

Really bad service is my Toyota dealer that left an incorrectly installed plug in my oil pan after an oil change. Oil was gushing from my engine on the way home. That is really bad service.

Of course I didn't know it was broken. It wasn't broken when I took the car in. They left me leave the store believing the job was complete. This and the fact that they won't let me just leave the seat with them to be repaired and re-installed at a later date is what ticks me off. I will either have to wait a couple hours for the repair to be done or leave the car. It seems to me that their goal is to inconvenience and piss off their customers and then laugh at them.

Reply to
Art

My best dealership was an old Subaru place in downtown Raleigh. Looked like a dump but they knew the cars backwards and forwards. I had brought my Legacy with crappy ac to another dealer several times where they kept on changing parts with no success. These guys found a crimped cable in 10 seconds.

Reply to
Art

snip, hey tom, just got my car back, had appointment last Thursday for what was a 6hr job, well they called me and said, they didn't realize my pt was the turbo, and they had wrong parts, order parts wait another day... they then tell me waterpump is toast need to order more parts...

long story short my so called 6hr job lasted from Thursday 8am- monday

6pm...

p.s. fixed under warrenty, cam shaft seals, valve cover seals, water pump, tuneup.

Reply to
Punch

All I can say is, don't confuse Daimler Chrysler (a huge multinational corporation -the world's 6th largest) with your local dealer's maintenance outfit (a bunch of guys with high school educations working in a shop owned by a small-time local conman) They did great. The took care of it. They just have one guy, the service writer, that can't communicate worth crap. Nobody's perfect!

Reply to
Joe

That's not good service, but really - you should believe it.

I took my old Le Baron to ASS once (America's Service Station).

I explained about the alarm, and they said my problem was 1 thing (don't even remember what now), they replaced it, then said it was something else, fixed that, then said it was a 3rd thing.

Somewhere along the line they said "Oh yeah, we disconnected your alarm too. It didn't work anyway, right?" - yeah, not after they got done with it.

At that point, I told them I didn't want them doing any more work on my car, picked it up, paid for it, and had it towed to the dealer, who was also rude.

They actually bitched at me because they had to give me a ride in their "courtesy" van.

ASS also stole tools out of my car.

I urge everyone not to go to ASS, especially the one on Bee Cave Road.

Reply to
L Sternn

Not a reflection of 'Chrysler' service, just your particular dealers poor service. I have had to have 2 recall issues taken care of on my 95 Caravan since purchased. In both cases had option to schedule appointment at service center or schedule dealers Mobile Service van to come to my home or work. Guess which one I picked! :0)

Reply to
PC Medic

Not in Canada. Can't call yourself a Mechanic without a licence (certificate of qualification) which requires education and apprenticeship. Still get a few that you sure wonder how they managed to get the paper, but that's true of Doctors and lawyers too.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Nor in many states. Where I am short of changing tires or oil you need to be ASE certified.

Reply to
PC Medic

Not at this dealership you may be able to change oil without ASE certification,but if you don't get ASE certified in your first 90 days(or at least be trying to get it)you lose your job!that is to ONLY change oil, they can't even look at brakes until they are Chrysler certified for brakes,if they want to advance to something else they have to do the training first, then apprentice.but that is the rules at the dealer where I work,the dealer accross town could be different. competition is fierce here,if you don't have competent techs that fix it first visit it will likely be the last visit,we pride ourselves in the fact that ALL of our techs are up to date on current training and certification,and that the techs here have been here 5 years or more some(2) have been here 12 years,we have 1 lube tech that has been here 3 years and 2 others that have been here 1 year.

Reply to
TNKEV

Reply to
mic canic

Which means exactly what?? That you can pass a written test? Pure memory work.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce