I got a call from the dealer....

Out of the blue, a salesdroidette called from the local Jeep dealership asking if I would want to buy a new Jeep soon. I told her that when DCX made a vehicle with a Chevy engine and a nine inch Ford rear end, give me a call.

As Nancy and Lee said, "How does that grab you, darlin'?"

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Interesting, especially since neither has been in production for quite a long time.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

That isn't exactly true. The Chevrolet Express/GMC Savana full sized vans had a Chevy small block 350 available through 2003, (vortec 5700 L3) and GM still produces Chevy 350's for the aftermarket in the Toluca Mexico plant. This engine is also used in non-automotive applications, Generac uses it in some of their natural gas fired generators for example.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Reply to
philthy

That engine and its predecessors ceased being a "Chevy" engine when GM decided to slap a 'Olds Rocket' label on it back in

1977...

There are no "Chevy" engines anymore, there are no "Pontiac" engines anymore, here are no "Oldsmobile" engines anymore, just GM corporate engines.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

No, not true - GM got sued because of trying to do this. And lost. Paid a lot of money for it too. Millios of dollars in fact. The courts agreed that there was indeed such a thing as a "chevy engine" and an "old engine" and the two were separate engines, not "GM corporate engines"

And later on in the 80's they had the "buick 3.8L" and the "chevy 3.8L" engine. Distributors on opposite sides of the engine. And a lot of other differences too.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

But I think that was only true at that time because they were advertising the heck out of the "Olds Rocket V-8" as something special/different. Now, however many years later, I don't think they advertise a distinction, so might they not interchange them - and might there now only be one version of a given engine used across divisions?

Bill Putney

Exactly!

Reply to
aarcuda69062

The question is more does GM have different gasoline engine designs of the same displacement?

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Well, thats a given, surely, since almost every GM V6, for instance, is made at the Vauxhall Engline plant in EllesMere Port, north west England.

Reply to
flobert