I Think I Fried Something

Kind'a long story. Was working on son-in-laws nissan truck starter and using wife's 96 Voyager work car "battery" for power source "While it was running". Jumper cables, small solenoid jumper. His starter will live a little longer. Then wife goes to work in Voyager, comes home, no problem. Next day she gets in to go again and it will not crank, while strange things happen. Ding Ding Ding, gauges go crazy, spedo stuck on 120, AND it doesn't stop for a short time after I turn the key off. Thinking I messed up the alternator and the good battery had enough juice to get her to and from work I check all fuses/relays, all appear OK. Son was here and TRIED to use diagnostic device. No help. Anyway I put charger on battery after disconnecting ground and let it charge until it reads 15+. The battery is good. WHAT HAVE I DONE. Help me OBEIWAN BILL

Reply to
Barry Leffler

First things that come to mind are: (1) Does that vehicle have a fusible link in line with the cable between the alternator and the battery (I know the LH cars do, so I assume it's a standard Chrysler feature)? If it's like the LH cars, it will be the first branch off the positive cable close to the battery.

(2) A lot would be answered by measuring the voltage at the battery with the engine running. Should be between 13.6 and 14.6 volts. It might run slightly low at idle, but above 1200 rpm, should definitely be above

13.6. That will tell you if (a) the alt. is working, and (b) the connection between the alt. and batt. (that fusible link assuming there is one) is good.

Post back when you've done that.

Reply to
Bill Putney

Bill,

(1) The original battery connector has the two wires. The big one goes to the starter and the smaller goes about six inches to the top of the fuse/relay box that is beside the battery so no fusible link. I didn't go farther because the under hood light, the

(2) I didn't explain well enough in the original post. I wish it would start so I could check the alt out-put. But that's the problem. NO start.

Another though. Wife now says that from time to time, the key, when trying to start did not want to turn properly. Could something in key/starter switch area cause any of these problems and how to check?

FYI. Replaced "BCM" about 50,000 mi ago at 147??? +/-. Crazy wipers and speedo. Everything has been good since then.

Reply to
Barry Leffler

I'm hoping someone familiar with that vehicle comes along to help. I was trying to relate it to the only Chrysler vehicle I know, and it's just too different for me to have any chance of saying anything meaningful.

Reply to
Bill Putney