Iacocca teams with Snoop Dogg

Has he (Iacocca) no shame?

I guess I'll have to get my Ebonics-to-English translator going to understand Snoopy.

-------------------

Iacocca teams with Snoop Dogg Chrysler, aiming for younger car buyers, teams retired chairman with rapper in new ad.

August 5, 2005: 9:24 AM EDT

Ex-Chrysler chairman Lee Iacocca and rapper Snoop Dogg ride a modified golf cart in a new Chrysler ad.

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Lee Iacocca's newest spot for Chrysler includes rap star Snoop Dogg, as the auto maker tries to reach out to a younger group of buyers.

Iacocca, who frequently appeared in Chrysler commercials during his tenure as chairman from 1979 to 1992, returned to pitch the company's cars in July, hyping its offer to sell vehicles at the employee-discount price to the general public.

The latest spot, which numerous media reports say should start Saturday, includes Iacocca and Snoop Dogg, whose hip-hop speaking manner in the spot seems to confuse Iacocca.

"You know, I'm not too sure what you just said. Now everybody gets a great deal," Iacocca says in the spot.

"Fo shizzle, I-ka-zizzle," Snoop Dog replies.

Iacocca is donating the money Chrysler is paying him to do these spots to a foundation he set up to battle diabetes, the disease which killed his wife. USA Today reports that Snoop Dogg told Iacocca during the filming that he has a brother with diabetes, and said he admired what Iacocca is doing.

"He's just a good kid," Iacocca told USA Today about his co-star. "I didn't understand half the things he was telling me, but it was fun."

The spot ends with Snoop Dog giving his own version of Iacocca's famous pitchline, "If you can find a better car, buy it."

"If the ride is more fly, then you must buy," Snoop Dog says.

Advertising Age last month found that more than 80 percent of people who had seen the commercials featuring Iacocca in July found the

80-year-old retiree to be "believable" and "relevant." But the survey also found that he was far less recognizable among young adults. Chrysler believes that Snoop Dogg may help solve that shortcoming.

"It's a great way to continue to break through the clutter," Chrysler spokeswoman Suraya DaSante told the New York Times. "Snoop is a hip-hop icon, a lot of people know him and recognize him, so it's a fun complement to Lee."

The Times reports that Snoop Dogg is a car buff and a fan of Chrysler products who left a voice mail at Chrysler's West Coast office in 2004 demanding the new Chrysler 300 sedan. The 300C he later received is black with tinted windows.

Iacocca's first round of commercials in July included one with Jason Alexander, who appeared as George Costanza in the television show "Seinfeld."

Reply to
MoPar Man

Snoop has also had repeated trouble with arrests for drug use over the years. He may make good music but he isn't particularly respectable. Chrysler would have done a hell of a lot better to get Eminem who by all accounts leads a far more respectable life than Snoop does, and is as good or better a rapper on a musical level, and is certainly as famous.

I don't know why they are saying that, the only report on this that is out there previously is that in 2001 he did the movie "The Wash" about a car wash, and in 2002 he had a Cadillac pimped (customized) for himself.

They forgot to mention that he got that car for free in exchange for promoting it in his video "Groupie Luv" Yes, he did ask for it - but he did so right when Chrysler was really desperate to promote it, thus having a great chance to get it for free. If Snoops goal was to get a free car at that time, that is the exact model he would have asked for to maximize chances of getting one for free. It should not be assumed that he is in particular a Chrysler fancier just because of that.

There is some evidence he tried the same trick to get the Caddy for free back in 2002, but Cadillac apparently didn't bite on that.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

He says: If you can buy a better car buy it". I assume he doesn't just mean quality, but the design as well.

Yep Lee I can find a better car for me than your 300/Magnum to replace my '95 Concord, but since the Concord runs so well I'll wait a while for Chrysler to figure this one out. This waiting has payed off so far in that I'm firming up what I want in my next car. It certainly isn't a newer Concord.

On my shortest list at this time is Subaru, with an Outback. What's holding me back is I'm not that fond with their engine un-reliability. It's form factor suits my needs well, but I'd prefer one built on the Sebring platform, with the Sebring 2.7L V6 engine. FWD OK, AWD not necessary for my trips to the ski hills. You're going to need a full sized spare capability though. Subaru even includes one. Contact me for more details.

Reply to
Spam Hater

What is unreliable about Subaru engines?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

They need head gasket replacements far too soon. They also high on fuel consumption.

Reply to
Spam Hater

I hadn't heard about the head gasket problems. Many kit plane builders use Subaru engines because they are reputed to be very reliable among the automotive alternatives available.

Fuel consumption isn't a reliability issue.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

IIRC (it's been awhile since I've been in the Subaru world), it's the EA82 engine (early 80's era) that is popular for the airplanes because the cam is gear driven. None of this "modern" belt-driven-cam-crap when your life is at stake.

Bill Putney

Yes, that is correct! Although, ironically, many folks use belt driven reduction drive units. They are lighter than the gear driven units, don't reverse the direction of rotation and damp vibration much better.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I've never built an airplane, but don't you guys think the form factor is the big sell for a Subaru-powered airplane? In other words, Subaru is just the best of the flat engines. I'm just askin'.

Reply to
Joe

A good step up from the VW engine. Yes the head gasket problem is very big, fortunately the first fix is usually under guarantee. I've read about the suspected problem, if true it will return over and over. About 65Kkms is when my friend's Forester had the first replacement. It is a shame because they have some very nice vehicles that put function ahead of styling- where I am.

I agree but is is a buying factor. For some reason their fuel consumption is high and it's ridiculous with the turbo. Toyota seems to have by far the lowest fuel consumption. The Avalon is amazing for power and fuel economy. Toyota's even take a full sized spare and they usually include it. Another car company putting function ahead of styling, but I agree their styling is a bit dull.

Reply to
Spam Hater

Subaru's design guidelines have deteriorated considerably over the years

- ironically to remain competitve. I sold an '86 turbo wagon with 275k miles on it with the original turbo and engine still running great - still had the original brake rotors that had never been replaced or turned and were smooth as silk. That would never happen on today's models.

Today, they have continual design problems with brakes, clutches, and rear wheel bearings. A real shame. But they run well - that's all that matters to some people and keeps them competitive.

Bill Putney

Because GM is making the cost cutting decisions know, instead of FUJI Industries. Amazing the flat 4 and the 6 never really were a problem until GM took control of Subaru from Fuji, And GM masterlyu introduced cost cutting initiatives to make Subaru more competitive and grow ther margins.

I sold an '86 turbo wagon with 275k

Reply to
David

That is one reason, but I think others are light weight, reliability, etc. And I just saw in my latest issue of Kitplanes that they are now using the newer Subaru 6 cylinder engine, I think they called it the H-6 or some such designation.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Quoth "Ted Mittelstaedt" in news:newscache$06jwki$xlg1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.ipinc.net:

From :

Eminem goes into rehab and family strikes

Aug. 20, 2005 12:00 AM

Before we get started today, it may be helpful to remember that, sometimes, the real reason a celebrity seeks medical treatment is often a wee bit worse than the case stated. For example: "had boil lanced" equals "was hooked up to 24-hour-a-day penicillin drip to combat super bug contracted during long weekend at a two-star Amsterdam brothel with Tom Sizemore, Courtney Love and Andy Dick." Now read the following, and set your imaginations on "kill": Eminem, who bowed out of his European tour this week after claiming he had succumbed to the celebrity scourge of exhaustion, is undergoing treatment for dependency to sleep medication, his publicist says.

Dennis Dennehy says Eminem (real name: Marshall Mathers III) "is in the hospital under doctors' care," the Associated Press reports. In related news, even more of Eminem's relatives hate him.

Jack and Betti Schmitt, Eminem's uncle and aunt, have filed a lawsuit against the mom-and-ex-wife-hating rapper, claiming he's trying to evict them from the home he built for them, the Detroit News reports.

Reply to
Tom Betz

That commercial with the two on the golf course has to be one of the worst commercials ever done. I cringe with embarrassment for DC when I watch it.

Bill Putney

news:newscache$06jwki$xlg1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.ipinc.net:

:

Ah, well then he's no worse than our friend Rush Limbaugh!

Heh. Yup, the entire text of that lawsuit is on the Internet. As I read it the Schmitts sold their Missouri home, moved into a home built for them rent-free for a period of 3 years, got paid about $60K a year for several years while doing it. And Jack is a truck driver it's not like he gave up a 20 year career at IBM or some such. Since they don't see eye to eye anymore why don't they just move back to Missouri and buy another home with the proceeds of the sale of the first one? I don't know about you but if a rich relative paid my mortgage for 3 years I'd be pretty happy!

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Sounds like a lot of British TV advertising...

:-) DAS

Dori A Schmetterling