Ignition Key Sticks

I have a 1995 Dodge Intrepid. On cooler days, on short trips, the key sticks in the ignition. I have to turn the key back and forth, usually for several minutes, until it finally rotates far enough so that I can remove it. Any ideas?

Reply to
JR

I have a 1995 Dodge Intrepid. On cooler days, on short trips, the key sticks in the ignition. I have to turn the key back and forth, usually for several minutes, until it finally rotates far enough so that I can remove it. Any ideas?

Reply to
JR

Buy a spray can of silicone lubricant. Pick a good brand; 3M and CRC are reliable; others may use propellants that can damage plastic. Use the plastic straw that comes with the can to squirt some silicone into the ignition lock. Operate the key through the full range of movement, squirt in a little more silicone, and repeat. If this frees up the mechanism, then you're all set. If not, replace the ignition lock NOW before it fails completely and strands you. (Use the rest of the can of silicone to hit the rest of the sliding/turning/moving parts in and around the car. Seatbelt catches, heater controls, gas door, etc. You'll be amazed how many squeaks and rattles disappear.)

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

The wafers in the lock cylinder are bad, you can spray all you want but sooner or later it is going to not let you turn the key at all. Have the key cylinder rebuilt.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
philthy

its your auto tranny, try shifting it into park again the next time this happens

Reply to
Punch