ignition noise

I have an '00 Intrepid and an '02 Stratus, and whenever I try to use a battery operated CB radio (for trips) or a "ham" radio, whether with internal or external antenna, I get lots of ignition noise when the car is running. It's not a "whine" but more like a speed-intensive "pop." The noise is present even when running of the power outlet. Shut off the engine, and the interference is gone.

Wondering what I could do to eliminate the noise. Would running the units directly off the battery (or in my case the positive and negative terminals in the engine compartment) help.

Thanks for any clues.

Reply to
justlarry

The ignition pulses are being picked up by the wiring under the hood. Need to get an ignition filter from RadioShack or similar location, ground it well, and connect your wiring for your CB/HAM radio through it. If you're really handy, you can build your own filter from instructions found in any one of several HAM radio books which should save you some money. Good luck .....

Reply to
Mike Surwill

Hi Just...

Running it off the vehicle battery - no matter where you connect it - won't make a bit of difference.

What _might_ help is checking that the hood is very, very well grounded.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Kenwood mobile ham gear like the triband 742 D came with a huge toroid hung noise suppressor on the power input leads that prevented just about any noise from getting in that way.

Bond your hood to the body with a hunk a flat ground cable.

Try moving the antenna and coax leading to it someplace else ( I assume you are using a mag mount ?)

Try making sure your antenna has a good ground.

try an external speaker with a built in DSP noise reduction circuit.

Reply to
Steve Stone

Thanks for all the replies. I've tried both mag mount and "set-screw" mountings for the antenna; no difference. But will check the grounding from hood to body. I'm inclined to think the noise is being picked up by the antenna, since it still noisy with internal battery power.

Reply to
justlarry

ground the unit at the best ground on the vehicle and that's the battery then make sure the noise u are hearing is not from the plug wires and gm cars are well known for this issue it even affects other cars radio's at stop lites water test the plug wires

justlarry wrote:

Reply to
philthy

I have from time to time run my Icom IC-706MkIIG in our '02 300M. The rig is mounted in the trunk, with #6 power wiring direct from the battery (with a fuse in the +ve lead right next to the battery). I use an appropriate Ham-Stick (or similar) antenna attached to a trunk-lip mount. I "bridged" the hood and trunk hinges with battery grounding straps.

I've sometimes detected the ignition interference, but the noise blanker will usually take it out (and the 706 noise blanker is generally thought to be far from the best around).

I do have a RadioSchlock "Heavy Duty Noise Filter" ready to install, but so far I haven't gotten around to doing it.

"Perce" (aka Alan NV8A)

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy