In the market for a 99-00-01 Caravan/New Yorker/Voyager

Dear Kind Fellows:

I am in the market for a 1999/2000/2001, maybe even 2002 Caravan, Voyager, or possibly even a New Yorker. Is there any consensus about engine size/transmission/accessories/year that I should make sure to have, or make sure to stay away from?

Thanks for your input, Bert H

Reply to
Bert Hochwald

Which engine to get depends on how you intend to use the van. Which accessories to get is totally up to you. The Chrysler version of the minivan is the Town & Country, not the New Yorker. If you wish to drive at night, get a 2001 or later van; their headlamps are "less poor" than the '96-'00 units.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Bert,

We have a '99 Town & Country Limited with 3.8L engine. It has been a very good vehicle, but is heavier than the earlier vans (we owned one of those too wit ha 3.3L engine) so gets a bit worse gasoline mileage. Both the 3.3L and the larger but nearly otherwise identical 3.8L engines are solid. I'd say the 3.8L is better for the larger size van. We would definitely buy another as it is still in excellent shape and now has ~65K miles and looks pretty much like new in most regards.

That said, here is my list of things that could have been improved based on my personal experience and re-affirmed by this newsgroup pretty much daily:

- Headlight output is not as good as the early 90's vans, but from what I understand better than mid to late 90's versions.

- Front disk brakes are undersized so pads need replacement too often (for us, every ~22K miles)

- Front brake rotors are poorly made from cheap steel so needed replacement due to warping, and deep pitting from road salt at just 4 years. (Quality replacement parts have faired better.)

- Front sway bar bushings have worn out and now need replacement.

- Vehicle output Speed Sensor wore out at ~36K miles and ~4 years old.

- Starter solenoid contacts wore out at ~50K miles so needed replacement.

- Ignition lock cylinder has been replaced twice now in my van (once under warranty and now again 3 years later) Note: this problem appears to be specific to our vehicle

As to what to check when buying a used vehicle, I'd say check for the following before buying:

- Good maintenance records (tune ups, gas/air/oil/trans filters, PCV, etc.) and consistent visual appearance.

- Regular interval for motor oil changes of 3-5K miles.

- Vehicle was not used for towing and had transmission fluid changes with correct ATF+3 or ATF+4 only at no more than 36K mile intervals.

- Serpentine belt, idler, and tensioner should have been replaced if vehicle has > 90K miles

I can't think of anything more off the top of my head, but am sure others will offer their experience and collective wisdom.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Do you have a heavy ring of keys hanging from the ignition key? That can cause problems over time, although I have about 10 keys on my key ring and haven't had problems with either my Chevy truck or my 96 van.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

All '96-'00 Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth US/Canada/Mexico-market minivan headlamps are garbage.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Dan,

I will take your word on that since lighting is your subject matter expertise. Sorry, but I was confusing my makes and models as I also own a

1996 Eagle Vision and 2001 Dodge Intrepid (both basically Intrepids) and know the headlights are far better on the latter.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Yes, both my wife and I have heavy rings with lots of keys... Despite that, no problems, yet, on any other vehicle I've owned and driven over the years, including many which are/were Chryslers. I suspect some bean counter has "cost reduced" this part.

In any event, the first time this occurred the vehicle was less than a year old with about 6K miles when it needed to be towed to the dealer and replaced (all under warranty). I've subsequently learned to tap on the key with a small hammer to push it further into the lock and this has always allowed it to turn freely. I've had the lock out three times now and lubricating with a light weight graphite lock oil seems to make it work for about another 6 months. I've also noticed that the problem is worse in colder weather.

This 2nd replacement lock is already on order and should go in next week. I hope this is the last time this will be needed.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I'm interested in the V6 engines and have no real engine preference other than it not have alot of design or manufacture faults. Mostly about-town driving with a few long trips here and there. Generally I prefer the fewest accessories that make the drive pleasant, don't need digital dashes, power antennas, spoilers, his and hers mirror settings, and the like. Just interested to hear if there is an accessory that people really like that goes with those years.

Since I have a '91 van, I'm used to night-driving with the equivalent of flashlights taped to the front of the car. The plastic lens-units are all discolored.

Thanks for the feedback, Bert

Reply to
Bert Hochwald

Very true!

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Dear Bob,

Thank you for your input. I have a '91 Caravan that is getting long in the tooth. It has had solenoid, tensioner, and brake pad troubles in its past. Also has recently had water pump, wheel bearing, brake cylinder, fuel pump and other troubles that are starting to irk me. But it has high miles and I have not exactly been very kind to it either.

I have had to baby the 4-speed transmission along to keep it alive. Have they improved at all since '91?

--Bert

...snip...

Reply to
Bert Hochwald

Right, the Town and Country, not the New Yorker. I wonder where I pulled that from? Must be memories of the nightmare '77 New Yorker that my dad once owned.

--Bert

Reply to
Bert Hochwald

The 3.3 and 3.8 are durable, essentially bulletproof, largely trouble-free Chrysler designs. The 3.0 is a somewhat more troublesome Mitsubishi design but will also last a long time if carefully maintained.

Yeah, the '96-'00 headlamps are even worse.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Yes, QUITE a bit.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Yeah, in the late '70s build quality was all over the map. If you got a good one, you were all set to go, but if you got a bad one you were well and truly screwed. Much like VW still today.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Dear Bob,

I just saw a '99 T&C being sold with 64K miles (private seller). Two items that stuck out at me and I have questions about:

1) The driver leather seat was quite worn looking with "crazing" in the leather. The remaining seats were considerably better looking with the back bench seat the best. Does yours have a crackled look?

2) I noticed a small puddle of transmission fluid under the car and I could see evidence of leaks around the pan. Is this a common fault? Easy fix?

I did notice that the headlight lenses were quite cloudy. It was being sold for $7,900

Thanks, Bert

Reply to
Bert Hochwald

Comments below.

My 99 T&C does not have any cracking on any of the seats, but is garage kept. My '96 Vision with leather has the cracking you describe on the driver seat only and I think this is considered normal wear. I maintain all my leather by using a conditioner at least once each year in the Spring (Fall too when I get the chance.)

I have never had any of my Chrysler transmissions (6 vehicles over the last

14 years, 4 of which I still own) leak at all from the transmission pan or body. I did just replace the transmission cooling lines on the 1996 Vision as they were leaking. I also just had to fix these same lines on my son's Saturn . Bottom line is you need to know where the leak is to determine the cost to fix. I do know the trans pan is sealed with RTV from the factory, but they sell a nice re-useable silicone metal gasket at the dealer that has served me well on three different vehicles.

My vehicle's lenses are not cloudy at all, but lighting/visiblilty is still poor.

Reply to
Bob Shuman