Infinity Speaker Problem - '96 T&C LXi

I have an intermittent problem with the left front speaker that I hope someone can provide information about. When the van is parked outside and the interior temperature gets quite hot the tweeter will stop working when I get in the van and use the radio/CD. After driving and cooling down the interior it comes back on and works fine. At first I thought it could be the unit so I traded units with my GC for a couple of weeks and it still did the same thing. As I don't know much about electronics I have no clue as to what could cause this. Any thoughts or ideas will be appreciated. Thanks in advance! RP

Reply to
RPhillips47

I'll bet the tweeter is connected to the amp output in series with a capacitor. That causes only the high frequencies to reach the tweeter. Perhaps the capacitor is open at high temperature, but works OK at lower temps. The solution is to replace the cap. You could buy one at Radio Shack. Costs about $1

cheers! Bill D. MSEE

Reply to
Bill D

Thanks for the input, however, as I really don't know much about electronics I have no idea as to where the capacitor would be let alone knowing how to replace it. I also think the speakers have individual amps as they have funny looking gizmos attached to the back of the speakers that have speaker wires running in and out of them. I guess I'll just live with it. Thanks again. RP

Reply to
RPhillips47