installing an ac compressor

Ok have to install an ac compressor for a friend, is there anything that I should be worried about? Also does anybody have any tips for the job?

Reply to
AWantz

If you have to ask this, then you need to call the friend back and tell him to take it to an AC shop. If you do not know the right base stock/grade oil, which refrigerant, have a good vacuum pump and service guage set, then you shouldn't be doing the job. I guarantee, if you try this without the proper tools and knowledge, the system will fail in short order, and take the "new" compressor with it. Rebuilders are VERY careful about scrutinizing failed compressors on warranty claims now. They can spot wrong oil, acetic oil, wrong or mixed refrigerant, low charge, poor or non-existant vacuum pulldown...you name it. If you want to keep this person as a friend, refuse the job...period.

More new and rebuilt compressors are sold because of jobs like this doen in driveways by unqualified people than any other single reason.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

whatever you do, don't take the advice of new resident troll, DESERTBOB- the guy doesn't even know his wrench sizes, and actually drives an old rotted 1970's Honda car

Reply to
the MAGNATE

snipped-for-privacy@epix.net

Thanks to your reports to Google Groups, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com has been banned by Google Groups from polluting Usenet anymore.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

snipped-for-privacy@epix.net

Thanks to your reports to Google Groups, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com has been banned by Google Groups from polluting Usenet anymore.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

snipped-for-privacy@epix.net

Thanks to your reports to Google Groups, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com has been banned by Google Groups from polluting Usenet anymore.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

snipped-for-privacy@epix.net

Thanks to your reports to Google Groups, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com has been banned by Google Groups from polluting Usenet anymore.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

I would be very hesitant to "backyard wrench" an A/C system. Evacuation of refrigerant, purging, refilling, all use tools that must must also be used correctly [usually beyond the average wrencher's experience and domain].

Give a year, make, model, engine size, maybe I can find a link for ya to r & r the compressor, but I would really suggest take it to a shop. The $$ spent would be well worth the savings in time, aggravation, needed tools, and risk of personal harm.

Not to mention, screwing things up. At least your friend would have recourse with a shop to get it done right, with you, you could end up in front of Judge Judy. :wink:

Tell your friend to open his/her wallet and get it done by a shop.

Reply to
Knifeblade_03

I completely agree with Desert Bob's advice. If you have to ask this question on Usenet, that's a sign you should just stop.

Reply to
Joe