Instrument Cluster

Has anyone ever had to get theirs replaced? We started the paperwork for a

2001 Dodge Ram last Monday the 28th and were told that the instrument cluster would be replaced and would take a 5 days max. They told us that next Thursday that the cluster wasn't in yet, but would only take 20 minutes to install once it was in and that it was being ordered from Detroit. This is a Chrysler/Dodge dealership.

Yesterday was the day they said the truck would be ready, but told us the cluster hasn't arrived yet. Today is the day when they said they'd know where the cluster was. This truck is such a sweet deal ($17K 32K miles fully loaded, ext. cab) that we're willing to wait however long it takes, but our problem is: why doesn't the service department know how long it takes for an instrument cluster to get in and why can't they track it somehow? Does it not come through normal channels like Fed Ex, etc.? If they said it would be two weeks, that's fine. But they keep telling us, "Two more days..." again and again.

If someone tells me it takes 3 weeks to get this type of part, I'll accept it and stop hassling the dealer.

Sheila

Reply to
Sheila

And the latest news is that it'll be ten days at the minimum because the clusters are made in Mexico and then shipped to Detroit to get the odometer set. It seems the time gets reset whenever we check in. And so it goes...

Sheila

Reply to
Sheila

Why did they have to replace the instrument cluster? I'm sorry for prying but I'm the curious type.

Be careful of the bait and switch.

Ric

Reply to
Ric

It was a used car that was "just in" and hadn't been given the once over by the service department yet. All the dash gauges were inoperable. I'd be suspicious of bait and switch if we'd seen the ad, but I don't think the car had been advertised yet and we don't mind getting another comparable truck at this point. It could be a bunch of half-truths and lies. The car drove fine during a test drive. If we tell them that we'd like to look at something else, would that be allowing them to bait and switch us? We'll see.

Sheila

Reply to
Sheila

It's probably nothing malicious but most answers you are getting are most likely based on averages not real factual data about your order. Most of the time when a deal orders a part is in stock in the local distribution warehouse (a couple of days away). If it doesn't come in by them they must not of had it and it must be coming from a regional warehouse (a couple more days away). If it doesn't com in by then it must have to come from the factory (just takes a couple more days to get). If it doesn't come by then maybe we should call somebody and find out something real (and there you are).

KS

Reply to
Kevin

And ya gotta ask in these situations in this age of computers, databases and networks: Don't they have an inventory control network that will tell them what part they have and where? I have never understood this thing of car dealerships ordering something and supposedly only being able to tell if it's in the wharehouse by if it comes in in three days they must've had it, and if they wait two weeks and it hasn't shown up, then it must've been out of stock. What idiots.

Bill Putney