instrument cluster

Although the speedometer is working, the odometer is not working on my

1990 Sundance. Since I assume it is the cable, does the steering wheel have to be removed to take out the instrument cluster. Any other suggestions will also be appreciated. Thanks!

Arnold

Reply to
adoom

No, the steering wheel does not have to be removed, but if it is tilt steering drop it down first. If it isn't, you may need to loosen the bolts holding the steering column up and swing it down out of the way, but try it first, I suspect you could wiggle the cluster out.

Reply to
Dave Gower

If the speedo works, but not the odometer, it is most likely not the cable.

It is most likely the odometer gear within the cluster, [driven by the cable], that went west on you. The gear is plastic and prone to losing a tooth or two. That is likely what happened, the drive gear from the speedometer inside the housing is failing to engage [turn] the odometer gear, and likely because a few teeth broke off, and it can't engage the speedo. gear.

Reply to
Knifeblade_03