Interesting noise from the caravan

Hi everyone. My 94 grand caravan is making a strange noise. 120k miles. This is a new noise for me. It's a groaning noise, like a hum or vibration. When it happens, it hums for maybe 3 seconds, then stops. It's related to braking, although the brakes feel great. ABS is working fine, no warning lights. When I stop at a light, there's a

50/50 chance that this noise will happen. I can feel the vibration in the brake pedal, but the vibration doesn't affect braking. It seems to happen more often at low speeds, but doesn't seem speed or rpm related. It has happened for no apparent reason while sitting at a light before, not moving. I can't find anything else wrong with the car. I suspect that it's vacuum related, maybe with the power brake booster, but there's no change in braking effort, so I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

brian

Reply to
brian lanning

It's likely an ABS malfunction, you need to get it in and have it checked out.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

You finally described what I'd been hearing in my 96 Voyager LE.

Recently I had a master cylinder failure and had it replaced and asked them to look at this noise. Shop said it was the ABS pump that was going, causing the noise but it was not compromising the performace of the ABS system. They said pump was $700 so unless I didn't want to pay for the pump until it goes, I should leave it.

Don't know it this is right or not, but the brakes seem to work ok.

Reply to
Jim Polaski

It's the pump on the Abs brakes. Mine, on a 93 Voyager le did that for 5 years and 90,000 miles before it finally quit but even then I wasn't sure that was what caused it to quit at

175000 miles.

Reply to
Peter and Gail

And what did it cost to replace?

Reply to
Jim Polaski

So how did it die? Did you just get no abs and an abs light, but braking still worked, or did the brakes fail?

brian

Reply to
brian lanning

That pump has been running all along, and you are just now hearing it. It's an electrically driven hydraulic brake booster, not vacuum. You should particularly hear it when you first start the car up.

Now, why are you just noticing it after 120k miles? That's the question.

Reply to
Joe

Um, nope. You don't hear it running when you start up.

I don't have 120K miles. only 88K and it's only done this for the past few months.

Reply to
Jim Polaski