Intrepid 2.7 Longevity?

Hello all, I was thinking about purchasing a 2nd gen intrepid with the

2.7 v-6. I was talking to a friend who informed me that his parents 99 intrepid blew the motor just after 100K miles. This car had 90% highway miles and had very strict 3000 mile oil changes and everything was maintained meticulously. Are there any known problems with this engine or anyone else experience this? Thanks in advance for the replies.

Nick

Reply to
N.Cass

You should be able to do a google search on this group. Yes - there are problems with the 2.7 and they have been discussed a lot here and elsewhere. Basically, it appears that the engine is prone to sludging up and self-destructing. I own a '99 Concorde with the 2.7 with 108k miles on it, and ti's doing very well, but I have done things to compensate for the tendency to sludge up.

Without owning it from new and taking special precautions, it would be a gamble. Funny thing is that Chrysler is putting the engine in one of the new lines of vehicles, but since they are so close-mouthed about the original problem, I wouldn't assume they have fixed the problem in the newer vehicles either.

Bill Putney

Thanks Bill, I will keep that in mind. I have a friend that has an intrepid with the 2.7 and I will let him know too. Thanks again! :)

Nick

Bill Putney wrote:

Reply to
N.Cass

From personal experience what I've read in various news groups and Intrepid Owners Groups, it's important to run quality full synth (Mobil-1) with a fresh filter (NOT Fram) every 3K - 5K miles.

I add 8 Oz. of Marvel Mystery Oil ~500 miles before the change to help break down any accumulated sludge, just to help the Mobil-1 keep things clean.

Bill Putney wrote:

Reply to
Mike Behnke

Was the 3.3 available for that year and model?

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
Kirk Matheson

Reply to
mic canic

If you mean 3.2, it was available for Intrepid and Concorde for MY99.

3.5 was only available in LHS and 300M in for MY99.

Bill Putney

Now ya's tell me. My '99 with the 2.7 is fast approaching the 100,000 km mark. I swear it has more pep now than when new. I religiously change the oil every 5000 km. Aside from a few "quality" parts issues the car has run strong from day one. Had a '93 and had too many problems to mention.

Max

Reply to
M.D.

Don't despair, Max. I have 108k miles on mine, and it's doing fine, so you may be alright, though you're entering the mileage range where many of the failures that I have read about occur (60 to 80k miles). If you put more highway miles on it than short-trip stop and go, you have a good chance of doing OK. You might start a gentle slow clean out program now as a preventative. I bought mine used at 58k miles, and started the cleanout then.

Bill Putney

Reply to
mic canic

Reply to