Intrepid door noise

My front passenger side door has recently started rattling and it is getting worse (more frequent and louder) by the day. I have seen issues related to the stereo system, but this is a rattle at the slightest bump in the road.

Not coincidentally (probably), the dealer did work on this same door over the summer, on the window and lock. I am wondering if they didn't screw something down tight, or if it is one of those clips used to hold the door panel not holding tight. According to the FSM, the clips should be replaced after removing the panel 3 times; I know they've had the panel off at least 2. Naturally this problem became evident shortly after the 90 day work warranty expired, so I'd rather not pay them to fix it, and possibly create another problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to fix this? I am very reluctant to remove the door panel, but perhaps this isn't necessary? The noise can be lessened by pressing (putting pressure) on the door panel over the armrest.

Reply to
Greg Johnson

The two most likely causes: (1) The clips that hold the panel on - there are two in each door - go to the Chrysler dealer and ask for them - they are officially called the "white" clips by Chrysler and the dealerships to distinguish them from other types of clips. I would not suggest using generic type similar clips from the auto parts store "HELP" aisle. (2) Chances are good that if you look at the three screws along the very bottom edge of the door panel, you will see that one or more of the screw holes are cracked and broken. Chrysler has an OK bandaid fix for it in the form of special washers (same idea as fender washers, but special shape) that you order pre-painted to match the panel color. There's a thread (started by yours truly) that gives part numbers and even photos of what the washers look like installed here:

Also might check speakers to make sure they are installed correctly and tight. Hopefully it is not caused by the dealer having left something loose, but even that should be easy to fix by removing the panel and seeing whats not tight.

Bill Putney

Oh - almost forgot the simple things - make sure the dealer put all the screws back in the panel.

Let's see - there are (working from memory here):

1 screw in inside door handle recess (look straight in behind handle) 1 screw in door pull cup (on the arm rest, in the very bottom of the pull cup) Three distributed radially around the speaker (remove speaker grill - they are in very deep recesses - may need a flashlight or good daylight to see if the screws are in there or just holes with no screws) The 3 along the bottom edge of the panel.

Bill Putney

Reply to
Bill Putney

Reply to
Greg Johnson

You're welcome.

About the only thing inside rattling around would be: (1) Window motor assembly - four bolts on a flat plate and a brace that attaches with one bolt towards the rear of the door (in open slotted hole - make sure it's in the slot and not just flapping around). (2) window tracks (3) The sheet metal piece that the pull cup screws to (doglegs out to form a horizontal pedestal for the cup to sit on and attach to) - it is aligned vertically and attaches to the door with one bolt at top and one at bottom of the door - the top bolt is in an open slotted hole - make sure it isn't missing the slot completely - would bang around if out of the slot.

I have to assume they put the inner liner (water shield) back in - it helps cushion and provide sound deadening. Also, a linkage (inside door handle back to latch, outside handle to latch) could be rattling against something.

Speaker tight?

Door latches tightly when closed? (Try shaking whole door when it's closed).

Bill Putney

I had a rattle in the driver's door of my '99 300M. Had the dealer look at it when the car was in for service. On the work order was a note that "mounts are broken" or some such. Got hold of the Service Manager and had him look up the history of repairs on the car. They'd had the door apart three of four times for window problems. "Ill order you a new panel and call you when it comes in." About ten days later I got the call and took the car in. New panel installed, no rattle, no charge! Good dealer in my book.

Reply to
Jim Shulthiess

I took a look at that front right door today. (Boy was it beautiful out!) You guessed it, there are cracks around every screw at the bottom. It looks the dealer tried to overcome this with some kind of rectangular washer deal. The special colored washers you found look like they are a lot bigger. Perhaps this is the source of my problem. Unfortunately it's real hard to diagnose b/c the door only makes noise when I am driving, and then I"m in the left seat! :) Complicating this is that the noise doesn't happen at predictable times, it happens at some bumps in the road, but not others. Bumps don't seem to cause the door to make as much noise when the car is warm for some reason (expansion?) I have noticed that when I apply pressure to the panel the rattling stops. I really want to solve this one, perhaps if I can get those colored washers it will fix it.... Thanks!

Reply to
Greg Houston