Intrepid overhead console lights problem

94 Intrepid. The overhead console lights are staying on all the time, instead of going off when the doors shut.

There is a dimmer somewhere in the circuit which dims the lights to off when the doors are shut. I'm thinking this may be the culprit.

Any knowledge or experience with these lights will be greatly appreciated.

DH in Denver

Reply to
DH in Denver

If it's like my Concorde (and I'm betting that it is), the instrument panel dimmer is right next to the headlight on/off switch. The instrument panel dimmer has three modes: (1) A continuously variable setting to adjust instrument lighting when headlights are on (no effect when headlights are off) (2) A detent position that max'es out the brightness of the digital readouts (for driving in daytime situations with the headlights on - i.e., daytime in the rain - again, no affect with headlights off) (3) A second detent position that forces the overhead lights on even with doors shut.

Sounds like someone has left the dimmer in the 3rd position.

Bill Putney