Intrepid Oxygen Sensor

I've got a code 21 (O2 sensor problem) on my 94 Intrepid, 3.3. With

125k mi, it's probably toast.

Does the '94 have 1 or 2? Is it easily accessible with the car on ramps? I have a sensor socket and some basic wrenches, that's about it for tools. Do I need special tools?

If I'm going to end up paying some gas station mechanic to do the removal for me anyway for lack of proper tools, I'd rather do it up front and avoid getting dirty.

Reply to
Raster

It has 2 sensors on the exhaust manifolds. You CAN see and get to both of them. It is not tooooo difficult. If I remember correctly, I got both off with a 7/8" wrench. Looking down from the top, they are (if I remember correctly-been a few years) about centered in the exhause manifold , down low. On a COLD engine, look and feel around and you SHOULD see them. GOOD LUCK

Reply to
Richard Benner Jr

Oh, get a little dirty! The O2 sensors are on top of the exhaust pipes, so, while you can feel them, you can't see them. But changing them is not difficult and no special tool is required. (They do sell a deep socket wrench with a slot to accomodate the sensor wires, but you don't need it.)

As noted by others, there are two O2 sensors. However, the on-board computer codes don't tell you which one is bad. Two choices: one is to have a place like Auto Zone hook up their hand-held scanner to get the computer to tell them which sensor is bad. The other option is simply to buy & install two sensors, since, at 125K miles, the second is bound to go sometime soon.

Reply to
Eric May