Is 98/02 LH 3.5 same as 93/97 LH 3.5?

It seems that after testing the cooling system, my 96 Eagle Vision TSI need a new head gasket.

Since I don't have the $1000 or so to pay for it, a "grease monkey" friend of mine said he can do it.

(he said that he did the same on his 90 Olds)

To help him work on a real (LOL) car I was able to get ahold of the 1998 -

2002 2nd generation LH service manual.

What I want to know is the instructions to remove the 3.5L cylinder head as show in the manual the same is the same for the 1st generation LH/3.5L cars.

Or was any changes so radical that the engines are not same and the instruction for one won't work on the other?

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Zentraleinheit

The changes were pretty radical. The change was one of those kinda odd ones in the industry where they kept most of the internal engine parts (crank, rods, pistons, etc.) almost unchanged, but encased them in an ENTIRELY new block. The later engine is an aluminum block, the older one iron. IIRC, the heads will phyically interchange, but not functionally because the bosses for fuel rails, injectors, etc. are different. The process for removing the heads is the same in general, but very different in detail (the later engine has a completely different intake plenum, different fuel injectors, different ignition system- and all those have to be removed).

Most importantly- the torque specifications may be very different because on the later engine you're clamping an aluminum head to an aluminum block, and on the early one the block is cast iron. The head bolts thread into the block, so that is a very critical spec.

I would get the correct manual.

Reply to
Steve

Sounds like correct advice to me.

An alternative is to pay $25 for a

subscription. I have a 2nd gen ('99) subscription, and it covers the head removal/installation procedure. I would assume a '96 subscription would include the equivalent 1st gen. procedure. AllData does not always include every single procedure in the subscription, but it appears they cover the major ones, and what they do include is right out of the FSM (not re-written, uses same figures).

I do not advise getting any aftermarket manual (such as Haynes) in spite of what may appear to be a bargain price. The quality of the information can be bad, and even absolutely wrong such that the resulting mistakes can be expensive (BTDT).

Bill Putney

I'm with Bill on this. Accept no substitute for a factory shop manual.

Reply to
Joe

First, let me thank you for the answers, I am now in the process of getting the correct manual for my 96 Eagle Vision TSI and its 3.5L Engine.

Secondly, as they say in football, "apon further review" it was not the head gasket that was causing my coolent problems. It was a bad Thermostat (the

3ed in 5 years), combined with a weak radiator cap, that was the blame for it all.

After they were replaced, and a deep flush and fill, the Vison is now a "sight to behold." LOL

However, as with any 13 model year old car there are still some issues.

But that's for another post.

Again, thanks.

Reply to
Zentraleinheit

Good. I'll take a bad thermostat over a head gasket any day.

Bill Putney

I started to say something to the effect that 3.5s very rarely blow head gaskets... but it is possible.

I continue to be amazed at just how few issues my wife's 1993 model of the same car has, despite pushing ever closer to 250,000 miles.

Reply to
Steve