Is it My Battery?

For the last few months my car has been turning over and starting slower and slower. Half the time, like when I first start it in the morning, the car starts right up. But then when I drive to a local city twenty five minutes away, turn off my car, go in to a store, come back out and start my car it bogs down when it starts. It will start but it kind of sounds like the battery is low on juice or something. It's been doing this about the last three months. It wont' always do this every time I start my car but it's doing it enough that I'm worried.

Well, a relative was thinking, since it hasn't failed to start yet but has been bogging down sometimes, maybe it's the starter.

The last few weeks it seems to be bogging down more. So, today I turn my car on and it starts right up. I drive about twenty minutes and turn it off. I'm go do some quick business and am back in the car about six minutes later. I try starting my car and it wont start over. It's like the battery is almost dead. The engine will turn once or twice real slow, if you know what I mean. Like "CHUG, chug, chuuuug, dead.........

Anyway, some nice guy saw that I was having trouble. He pulled up and gave me a jump with his cables. My car started right up. I drove home, parked. Then tried starting the car. It did start.

So, I'm wondering - what could be the problem with this car starting? Is it a bad battery? Could it be the starter? Could it be the alternator not recharging the battery? Could a loose battery cable be the cause? When I got home my brother checked the battery and found one of the cables was a little loose where it connects to the battery.

Tonight the car started right up. I drove to Wal-Mart and when I restarted it fifteen minutes later it started right up. When I got home and turned it off I restarted it with no problems. I turned it off again, waited one minute, then started it again. It started right up. I went inside, then ten minutes later went back out to see if my car would start. It did. Then I turned it off. And tried starting it one more time. This last time it bogged down a little when it started but it did start.

Opinions?

Thanks!

Reply to
Von Fourche

I always say that 2/3 of life's problems require a voltmeter to solve. This is one of them. You can determine whether your alternator is working properly that way, and you could also make sure you don't have a cell shorted out in the battery. Getting at the condition of the starter is a little more difficult.

Batteries don't cost much, so I don't worry too much about them. If it's old, and I doubt it at all, I just get a new one. But only after using the voltmeter to make sure the alternator is charging properly.

Reply to
Joe

Find someone with a good transconductance tester (Midtronics is the common one) - a battery can be accurately tested at less than 1/4 charge with these testers - and the virtually never lie.

Very common problem in the mid eighties on GM cars was aluminum field windings in the starter being very heat sensitive. Other makers and models had the same problem to a lesser degree, You need to do a cranking load test both hot and cold. Also, check ALL connections in the starter circuit. A bad ground connection on the block can be adequate to start when cold, and virtually go away when hot, making for a difficult start.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Sometimes starters die very slowly. Differences from one start to the next may depend on the position within the starter motor itself.

Reply to
Drive Dog