Is Jeep Liberty 3.7 L engine a slant 6?

Earlier in the day, I was behind a Jeep Liberty at a stop light. I noticed a "3.7 liter" emblem on the rear. My 76 Plymouth (Ohhhh the Plymouth name brings back nostalgia!) Volare had a 225 CID 3.7 l slant six engine. I got goosebumps at the light at the mere thought of the slant 6 being resurrected. I guess the 64000 dollar question is.... Is hte Liberty equipped with the slant 6 engine?????

My grandpa owned a 63 Valiant with the slant 6, my uncle owned a 78 Dodge pickup with this powerplant, my cousin had a 72 slant 6 Plymouth Duster with this legendaty powerplant. I will be elated if the slant 6 is back in production! Thanks!

Reply to
Jim

I guess the 64000 dollar question is.... Is hte Liberty

Nope, it is a v-6 engine. I believe it is the same one DCX uses in the Rams, Dakotas, and Durangos. This 3.7 V-6 is a new design, which replaced the old 3.9 V-6 that was based off of the 318 design.

Sorry to burst your bubble......

Reply to
N.Cass

The Liberty engine is the 3.7L PowerTech V6. No slant 6 to be found. The length of the engine and as I understand getting it to meet the emission standars of the time are what killed the engine. It would be nice to see the old girl come back again but I don't think it will happen.

'course I never thought there would be another decent sized convertible with a real engine but Chrysler is promising a 300C in convertible form so who knows what the future holds.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

That's not *quite* the whole story, but almost. The Slant-6 was permitted to die a slow, undignified death by strangulation. Its combustion chamber and induction system could well have been substantially updated to meet tightening emissions standards with increased performance, and various promising experimental variants were built (OHC, new combustion chambers, new 246cid displacement, etc.) but none of these was released.

More's the pity.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Lack of attention killed and cost-cutting it. If it had been given the same sorts of upgrades in head design, valve-train design, etc. that the

318 got, it would have lasted at least as long as the 318 did and might have been the I-6 of choice during the 90s instead of the Jeep-inherited 4.0 (which itself is an excellent engine, no slam against it). The move toward the 3.9 back in the 80s also meant that the /6 assembly line could be shut down, and common tooling and parts could be used to produce the 5.2 (318) v8 and the 3.9 v6, which is just 3/4 of a 318. They shared pistons, rings, valves, connecting rods, water pumps, timing gears, rocker arms... the only differences are heads, blocks, cranks, distributor, ECM software, and manifolding. It was a cost-saving venture.
Reply to
Steve

The 3.7 in the Liberty is a V6 which is the 4.7 V8 used in the Grand Cherokee, Ram, etc. with two cylinders missing.

Reply to
kokomoNOSPAMkid