Is motor oil getting more expensive ???

Is anyone else seeing motor oil getting more expensive - either on the parts-store's shelves, or during an oil change at the dealership?

Is anyone else seeing oil being packaged in 900-odd ml containers, instead of 1 liter?

In August I had an oil change at the dealer. They charged $2.75 / unit, 5 units (I'm assuming that a unit is a liter).

I just had it changed again last week. Price was $3.10 / unit. (These are CDN dollars).

Was there a consolidation of the oil industry this year? Did Penzoil buy Valvoline (or some such thing) ?

Reply to
mopar_man

I've thought that both dino and synthetic oil (I buy my preferred brands by the case when I see sales) prices remained "fairly stable" while gasoline and diesel fuel prices had gone through the roof. Yes, they increased some, but nowhere near the raw crude oil price increases that were seen.

That said, I buy oil in the US quart containers, which is 943ml or 0.943 liters. Although the form has changed significantly (plastic bottles with twist off caps) this is the same container size (32 fluid ounces) that I have been purchasing/using since back when oil came in real cans and we used a can opener to pierce the steel top.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman