Is the Anti-theft device defective????

I have an anti-theft device on my PT Cruiser. You must turn on the headlights to start the engine. Every now and then, even with the headlights on, there is no cranking. Everything else works. And there's a lot of noise, clicking from either under the dash or in the engine compartment. This occurs after it won't crank and the key is released from the crank/start position. I'm guessing the problem is in the relay for the anti-theft device and is not related to the actual starting system in the car. Any ideas??

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

Sounds like a discharged/bad battery to me. Can you measure the voltage using a digital or analog volt meter before you attempt anything, when the headlights are turned on, and again when you are trying to start the vehicle?

If its still the original battery you'll likely see a low voltage when you try to start the car so a replacement would likely solve the problem.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

____Reply Separator_____

But if you try it several times, it then cranks normally and starts right up.

Reply to
TOM KAN PA