Is this the place to find out about Eagle problems?

Is this the place to find help with Eagle problems?

If so, will respond with a fairly detailed history from engine sputtering, to computer analysis saying one thing, to not solving the mystery.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

Go on ahead and post. Try to stick to the basics (what's the model, year, engine, transmission, emissions package and mileage, what're the symptoms, what's been tried unsuccessfully).

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Model Eagle Talon 2.1 engine esi Year 1995 Tranny - stick, five speeds Emission ???? Mileage 177,000 (engine was rebuilt about 5,000 miles ago) Symptoms: Lack of power, on normal streets, on freeways. Tried: Replaced idle motor, replaced fuel filter, replaced spark plugs and wires, check vacuum leaks, fixed them. Replaced air filter. Oxygen sensor shows up on the computer, there are two and both appear to be OK... this is the key suspect and will cost a bundle if so. Air sensor shows up on computer but we can't find it!

Any help will get you a Tecate or Bohemia and two tacos de carne asada when you are in the neighborhood! (We are just north of the Tijuana border).

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

Don't see a 2.1 in '95 on those. Sure it's not a 2.0?

"Federal" or "California" emissions.

OK, so a high-miles unit...

Filter and spark plugs/wires were a good idea if they were old. Vacuum leaks fixed -- also good.

O2 sensors are indeed a key suspect, especially if they are original to the car (not replaced with engine rebuild). Even if they were replaced when the car had half its present mileage, they're probably due. What do you mean when you say they "appear to be OK"? How did you check?

Don't quite understand this. You're saying that a computer diagnostic check indicated the "air sensor" (charge air temp sensor?) is not working correctly, but you're unable to physically locate the sensor?

mmMMMMmm...tacos de carne asada...

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

On your 1995 EAGLE TALON, the SENSOR-AIR CHARGE is:

UNDER HOOD, CENTER/REAR ENGINE AREA, MOUNTED IN REAR OF THE INTAKE MANIFOLD.

Reply to
tudysmuck

oh yea me tacos where you at ? san yisedo national city chula wanna

k=no

Reply to
tudysmuck

Chula wanna! Thanks!

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

My son is taking your suggestions to his mechanic friend and will go over it and let me know what is happening. I will post here when I get anything.

Thanks!

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

Was the "rebuild" a top end/gasket job, a ring job, a full rebuild or what? Why was it rebuilt, due to a failure or due to poor performance like you are having now? It would be worthwhile to check the compression. Low compression would give you low power throughout the RPM range. I would also check that the timing is correct and that the timing advances when you hit the gas. Checking these two things pretty much rules out a rebuild-related problem.

Otherwise it sounds like you are running rich or lean especially given that you are getting a O2 code thrown. To lack power without any noticeable "rich" smell or smoke, it would probably be lean. You got a good start replacing the fuel filter since that is a common culprit. You can hook up an inline fuel pressure gauge to make sure the pump and/or pressure regulator are working correctly. Aside from that, the various sensor inputs usually determine injector timing and pulse width, so things get fun from there.

Reply to
Ryan Underwood