It Runs!

Thank you to all who responded to my previous threads here.

I went with the Wix 51515 filter for the '92 Dynasty 3.3 as the lower radiator hose would be in the way with the 51773. The first thing I noticed about the filter is that the inlet holes are huge compared to the Fram PH16 I took off and the anti-backflow valve seems to make a much better seal. I poured in most of a 5 quart jug of Havoline 5W30 and pre-filled the filter with the rest. With the filter still off I took off the shell of the starter relay and cranked the engine for a few seconds while watching the filter mount, nothing... now I was nervous. I got inside and started the engine and let it run for 2 seconds and shut it off then got back out and was greeted by a small puddle of fresh oil on the ice (yes I cleaned it up). It Pumps! Screwed the filter on and with my fingers crossed started it again and the pressure gauge immediately showed normal pressure. It took a few minutes before the lifters stopped ticking but what do you expect when an engine sits for over a year without being cranked. After the lifters got quiet the engine once again had the sweet sound of a light timing chain rattle and the fuel injectors firing. I drove it around the block and waited for the engine to get hot enough for the radiator fans to cycle once before I shut it back off.

It looks like this just might work. I can only assume that the pump lost its prime and couldn't re-prime against the pressure of the Fram filter and that is why the gauge needle never moved while my sister had it. Once I find an oil pan that doesn't have a slow leak and isn't dented very bad I will switch back to Mobil 1.

Reply to
Daniel Who Wants to Know

For your consideration on oil filters, The old "oil filter study" website seems to suggest the Motorcraft FL1A. They claimed, years ago, it had Purolator "pure one" media, but it only costs about $3 or $4. That's what I use on my 3.3. I haven't sawed one apart, but they sure do seem to work well.

It's not a filter that's listed as fitting a 3.3, but it does fit a wide variety of Chrysler products.

"Daniel Who Wants to Know" wrote in message news:%Wuzh.1185921$084.483564@attbi_s22...

Reply to
Joe

And what "pressure" would that be? There is no magic pressure built into Fram filters. Where do you guys get this stuff!?

Bill Putney

I was referring to it being old and possibly plugged enough that the pump couldn't prime and develop enough pressure to open the bypass valve. If this is a situation that can't ever happen please let me know.

Reply to
Daniel Who Wants to Know

It takes considerable pressure to open the bypass valve of *any* filter. Your barbs against Fram are ridiculous examples (including your 3 failed bearings). I have no problem with someone who wants to criticize any product for a valid reason - and maybe Fram deserves it on some of their filters, but you are simply on the "hate Fram" bandwagon as illustrated by this latest example of yours.

Bill Putney