It's 1978 all over again for Chrysler

Lee Iacocca was alarmed by the massive amount of unsold cars sitting and decaying on the Michigan State Fairgrounds near Detroit back in late '78 when he took over as chair of Chrysler Corporation. This was the notorious "sales bank," the repository of overproduced,undersold product that would be given away under wholesale to dealers at the end of fiscal quarters to just get rid of the inventory and make the books look a little better.

Guess what...it's BAAAAAAACK!

CNBC moments ago showed the same, exact place where Iacocca was alarmed by the "sales bank"...chock full of pickups and SUVs. Turns out all the Big 3 have been lying about their inventory overstock, as well, by cutting the amount of inventory by "future fleet sales." As IF they know exactly when and who's going to buy these things for fleets! After cleaning up that little slight of hand, it's apparant now that Chrysler has a 120 day inventory of Jeeps and pickups sitting at the fairgrounds...and those cars are just sitting there, decaying, and the harsh Michigan winter is coming.

Meanwhile, Ford announced the end of the Taurus, the car that saved Ford from the mismanagement of King Henry II in the '80s. Now, after years of mismanagement by Billy Boy, they're in worse trouble than before.

The Taurus was another place where Iacocca was wrong. When it was introduced in '86, he called it "the potato car." Wrong...that was one hot selling potato for many years...until Ford, by then headlong into systemic mismanagement by the Ford family (again), refused to spend any money keeping it modern and fresh. Seems that Billy Boy was more interested in 2 seater T-Birds and hulking "Eddie Bauer" Expeditions and Explorers. Then the Firestone disaster hit, and it's been downhill with no brakes for Ford ever since, despite a period of robust sales for the gas guzzlers...for awhile....until gas hit $3/gallon.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

Well, how else will anyone be able to ask questions again next spring about why their "brand new" minivan, Pacifica, whatever, has rust all over the springs and other underbody parts?

Reply to
cavedweller

To say nothing of pulsating brakes.......

Reply to
cavedweller

DC will issue a can of black gloss spray paint with every "sales bank" pickup or SUV at their "fire sales." LOL!

What a mess...especially for a company that went through this once already less than 30 years ago.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

In the glove box? You don't suggest that dealers are going to do it at PDI do you? Double LOL!

Actually, there've been a few of these................

Reply to
cavedweller

I guess a little WD40 might work wonders if it was used at the right time.

Reply to
Joe

It's "sleight" if hand.

Bill Putney

"if" course it is :)

Reply to
cavedweller

Thet mai bee th shortst exmple if th "Usnet Speling Flam Lw" I'v evr scene.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Since when does a dealer actualy DO PDI? Triple LOL! Imagine the look of the hapless Cherokee owner who gets home, pops open the glove box, and sees the can of spray paint in there. "Hmmmm...what's THIS for?"

Reply to
DeserTBoB

Nope. In another thread: "It's 'its'."

Reply to
cavedweller

LMAO! Better luck next time, Putney! "If" course, he's correct here.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

My pernt, zackly

Reply to
cavedweller

What do you mean by "better luck next time"? The self appointed grammar cop said "slight of hand", and Putney pointed it out. It was a nice case of poetic justice. I was going to point it out myself but got distracted by something else.

Bob, you have such an amazing talent for completely obscuring real points and burying them in seemingly endless bullshit anecdotes that relate to absolutely nothing, and then pretending that none of your crap applies to you. You should run for office.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

Well crap!! I guess I deserved that one! :)

Bill Putney

Grammar/spelling and usenet go together like Don Quixote and windmills.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Like ignorance and sarcasm. That's my favorite USENET combination.

Reply to
Joe