Japanese automakers increase American investments

Japanese automakers increase American investments Publish date: Oct 16, 2009 Source: Motor Age

Japanese automakers increased investment in the U.S. by more than $1 billion in 2008 to a total of $33.67 billion, according to a new report, "Contributing to the Future of the American Automobile Industry," published by the Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association (JAMA). "Our members are continuing to invest, research and build in order to provide the high quality, environmentally friendly vehicles their consumers demand," says William C. Duncan, JAMA USA general director. "We continue to focus our production in North America, where we still make nearly two-thirds of the cars and trucks we sell in the U.S."

The total investment in the U.S. of nearly $34 billion includes 31 vehicle, engine and parts manufacturing plants and 34 major R&D and design facilities. This financial commitment is a significant contribution to local economies, according to the report.

The number of American employees devoted to research increased by 6 percent between 2007 and 2008, a number now approaching 4,000 people. Nevertheless, the recession has taken a toll on employment. The total number of employees, including those at manufacturing plants, dealerships and research facilities, fell from 424,883 at the end of 2007 to 392,635 at the end of

2008.

Japanese automakers produced 62 percent of their total U.S. sales from their North American plants. In 2008, 2.97 million vehicles were produced in the U.S.

The annual JAMA report also provides information about JAMA members' environmental contributions in the U.S., including photographs of next-generation vehicles: fuel cell vehicles; hydrogen vehicles; electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids.

To obtain a copy of the report, go to

rob

How many plants does GM, Ford, Chrysler, BMW, Daimler, Volkswagon operate in Japan? How many Japanese are employed by those operations?

Reply to
MoPar Man

That's really part of the problem. The Japanese automakers set up plants and design studios here, and started making cars Americans want. The US auto makers just tried exporting American cars to Japan, and that didn't work.

Reply to
erschroedinger

And didn't they insult the Japanese consumer by offering left-hand drive cars in a right-hand drive country?

Reply to
Brian Priebe

And then moan about anti-US trade restrictions?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

tj Frazir