Jeep Comanche clutch problem

I just "inherited" a 1986 Jeep Comanche that I originally purchased new and sold to my father-in-law 10 years ago. The old girl still runs great although the body is getting pretty rough. The one noticeable problem is that the transmission (5 speed) grinds now when engaging 1st or reverse. It acts as though the clutch isn't fully disengaging, although I suppose it could be worn synchros. I just pulled out my trusting FSM and it has very little information on the clutch other than basic R&R procedures. No troubleshooting section. The hydraulic clutch appears to have no means for adjustment so that can't be the problem.

Any familiar with the Cherokeed/Comanche line have any ideas?

I'll add that the clutch has always engaged very quickly upon release of the pedal and, conversely, not disengage until it was almost to the floor. It did this right from day one. However, it always seemed to fully disengage even though the pedal was right to the floor before it did. It seems that if the problem was clutch disc wear, then the clutch should disengage even better, rather than less so. I'm wondering if it could be wear of the TO bearing or TO arm.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting