Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi in UK

Here is a review in today's UK Sunday Times of the new Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I have reproduced the article below my signature for convenience.

What do you think? Agree/disagree, bearing in mind the European context?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

I think the writer either has a fantastic bead on what new car buyers use as criteria or is totally out of his gourd. Some of the choice lines in this review:

Ah, at least we state our bias upfront so the reader knows this isn't even an attempt an an unbiased review..

When has Jeep become a SUV?

If you want smooth as a premium saloon why don't you just buy a premium saloon at a quarter the price and fuel consumption? Since when does a 4x4 need to be a plushmobile? If this is a selling point then he-men are no longer buying 4x4's, now it's girley-men. What a sad statement on the 4x4 crowd.

Don'tcha mean good new-fashion American muscle? Old-fashioned American Muscle went away in 1973 and has never come back.

Ah, yes, a 4x4 that can do 130Mph. I heard of tearing through the forest but this is rediculous. How about telling us about it's ability to crawl out of deep snow and bogs? Or that it has a decent frame that you can attach a winch to and pull stumps without the thing folding up and blowing off it's airbags?

Yes, we need that - drown out all the noise of the birds and the wind out in nature, right. Hey, if I pound a hole into my muffler on my 81 Datsun 4 banger can I get that same wonderful roar too?

How about the official off-road fuel consumption?

What about off-road handling?

Like I said, either the new Jeep buyers are on a completely different planet than this reviewer, or they are now all a bunch of girly-men and this writer has them nailed spot-on.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Most people (in western Europe, but I guess it applies to many in USA, esp in Calif which, ok ok, is not in the USA...) buy 4x4 to ferry their children from their townhouses across paved roads to their schools or their bales of hay from their Chelsea/Manhattan/Beverly Hills farms to their Harrods/Bloomingdales/Neiman-Marcus farms...

Look at the new H3...At who is this aimed?

A strong body of opinion holds that the Merc ML is a better off-roader than the BMW X5, but who cares? The X5 looks better...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Men who have erectile dysfunctions and have to compensate with something I think...

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I would have thought that V-i-a-g-r-a and Ci@lis (as advertised in hundreds of my daily spam msgs) are cheaper and more effective... :-)

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Except V-1-a-g-r-a makes you go blind. 4x4's don't do that.

Dori A Schmetterl> I would have thought that V-i-a-g-r-a and Ci@lis (as advertised in hundreds

Reply to
Bill Putney