Jeep Paint

I went mudding about two weeks ago and the jeep got fairly muddy. I left the mud on for those two weeks until I had a chance to wash it. I was upset to see that the mud clouded my paint in patches! Can I fix this or does my Jeep now permanently stained? It is black paint.

Thanks

Chris

1992 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0 L, 5-Speed 214k
Reply to
Chris & Mary

I've had good success with just waxing it, but using a machine to apply the wax and polishing it afterwards. The machine makes the difference for me. There are some waxes that claim to restore clouded paint to some degree, the come in various colors. Those worked well back when I had a white CJ. I think the brand is Turtle for that too.

Good luck!

-Kris

"Chris & Mary" wrote in news:54bPa.4974$ snipped-for-privacy@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca:

Reply to
Kris

I've got a better idea: Cherish the Mud. (why did you wash it off, anyway?) ;) TJim

Reply to
TJim

Someone wrote wash me on it and it ruined the mud job.

Reply to
Chris & Mary

Try Meguire's swirl remover. But don't rub for too long or you will go through the clearcoat.

Reply to
DougW

try cleaning a small area with rubbing alchohol, see if that works by small I mean not in a noticable area, rubbing alcohol has been known to take all the paint off

Reply to
Anonymous

Reply to
RichH

No way! Both of these are cleansers that are full of pumace for scrubing bathroom fixtures (they come in cylindrical containers exactly the same as Comet and Ajax). If oxalic acid is needed (and I have no idea about what this will do to your paint) go to your home improvement store and buy pure oxalic acid. Good luck dude.

Kim

Reply to
Kim

Reply to
RichH

I just visited my local Autoboby Shop and they said the fogging can be fixed by buffing it out. It will cost $80-$100 cdn for 3 hours of work and it will fix all the scratches to since they are minor. They said the dealer I bought it from last month must have had it painted before I got it and that is what is wrong. After they buff it I must immediatly wax it and it should never happen again. Does anyone know what they use to buff it and how they do it. Thanks a lot for all of your replies!

Chris

Reply to
Chris & Mary

Chris:

Depending on how much fogging there is-they may simply use a buffing compound on a polishing buff (bonnet) on a polisher. If the fogging is more severe-then heavier compound and a cutting buff then follow up as above-and may final buff it with a swirl remover like Cleanbright #27. Each to his own with waxes-I use Meguire's #26. Respectfully submitted,

Loren Knighton Woodland, CA.

Under the hood since 1964 Member TRNI IATN

BACKNCARDR

Should just be a standard buffing compound, you can do it yourself with a buffer but if you screw up it ends up being alot worse than before you started. It really helps to have an old car around to practice on.

Reply to
Tom Eller

I took the claybar advice from you guys and damn if it didn't work like a champ. Don't understand how exactly but it does. I bought the "Clay Magic" because it was all they had. It comes in a box with a spray bottle and a 3x4" blue clay bar. I got it at Autozone for $9.99. Since I only needed to use it on my hood and front fenders, I expect I can use the clay again. I followed the instructions and finished it off with a coat of wax. The deep shine and smooth feel is back. Thanks

Reply to
Elflan

Why would anyone who would leave their car covered in mud for two weeks be concerned about clouded paint?

Reply to
Sid Wood

It's a Jeep Thing. You wouldn't understand.

:)

Tom

Reply to
mabar